Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Questions  (Read 5452 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
G$ --- are you using the larger pan on an 09 or newer or older WSM?

The largest pan (SJ Bowl) came with my 2010 (I think) WSM, but I do not use it.  I favor the Brinkman CHARCOAL pan for my WSM water pan, whether an older or newer WSM.  The largest pan (SJ Bowl) is too deep IMO.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
If using the terracotta pan (is this just like the base of a pot plant?) then I assume the shallow pan would be a preference?

Ken
Yes Ken, exactly that.  I went from shallow pan to Brinkman pan then to terracotta flower pot saucer in the Brinkman pan as I had been using the Brinkman pan and couldn't find the shallow pan 8)

Yep, exactly.  In the states, we can buy the base of a terra cotta flower pot separately.  Provides a bit of a heat sink, and keeps cooking juices from burning too quickly.  I use mine in the older WSM water pan (SJ lid), though I'm sure it would work in my Brinkmann charcoal pan.

(The reason folks are using all caps when they say CHARCOAL is that you want to make sure to buy the Brinkmann CHARCOAL pan to use as your large-volume water pan, NOT the Brinkmann water pan.)
One of the charcoal people.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
Thanks all! I wonder how much shipping a Brinkmann pan to Aus will cost. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
Further to the Brinkmann pan topic, is this valid for the 22.5" WSM or just the 18.5"?

Ken

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Ken, you might be able to find a similar pan at a restaurant supply store for a few bucks. The 22.5" water pan is an 18.5" lid. I haven't see too many gripes about the size though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
Ken, you might be able to find a similar pan at a restaurant supply store for a few bucks. The 22.5" water pan is an 18.5" lid. I haven't see too many gripes about the size though.

Thanks gummi.

Ken

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 05:35:56 AM »
I'll echo gummi on the 22.   The stock pan works terrific and although some may have done it, I have never heard of anyone using  a different pan altogether in a 22.

Re: the terra cotta, I have never seen the need, especially using a draft controller.  When I foil my pan, i leave an air gap underneath or crumple a tiny bit of foil under there. It helps keep the burning doen.    Although there is perhaps some utility as a heat sink, my guess is that it is marginal and not using one is one less thing to deal with.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »
I'll echo gummi on the 22.   The stock pan works terrific and although some may have done it, I have never heard of anyone using  a different pan altogether in a 22.

Re: the terra cotta, I have never seen the need, especially using a draft controller.  When I foil my pan, i leave an air gap underneath or crumple a tiny bit of foil under there. It helps keep the burning doen.    Although there is perhaps some utility as a heat sink, my guess is that it is marginal and not using one is one less thing to deal with.

I'm actually gonna do some tests with other pans. I think having something there as a deflector is important to reduce radiant heat on the meat, but covering and cleaning that water pan is alot of work. I was thinking like a round baking tray that will catch grease while being shallow enough to cover easily. I do not run water usually, just a foiled pan.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
G$ --- are you using the larger pan on an 09 or newer or older WSM?

The largest pan (SJ Bowl) came with my 2010 (I think) WSM, but I do not use it.  I favor the Brinkman CHARCOAL pan for my WSM water pan, whether an older or newer WSM.  The largest pan (SJ Bowl) is too deep IMO.

Ah, ok.  I wasn't sure if Weber made any height adjustment to the cooking grate/water pan supports in the '09 makeover.  I just measured my '13 WSM (18") and there's 6.25" from the charcoal grate to the stock water bowl.  The charcoal ring is 4.75", so that's only 1.5" of 'mound' if someone wanted to load it up or add wood chunks to the top. 

I'll look into ordering the Brinkmann charcoal pan as the flat bottom & extra space sure can't hurt.  Any idea, off hand, what the height difference is?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
It is a good few inches.  Did not measure exactly.  Has to be 4?