Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about PAM  (Read 1960 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Question about PAM
« on: November 22, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
I asked my wife to pick me up a bottle of PAM when she went to the grocery store as I am getting ready to finish up my Yellow restore.  She came back with CRISCO spray because it was cheaper.  Does it matter what I spray on the kettle to protect it or does PAM have something extra in it that CRISCO doesn't?
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Question about PAM
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
Ordinary Crisco spray is Canola as is Pam. Should work fine. Your wife did fine.
kettles, smokers...

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
What is the cooking spray used for?
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
There are certain places on the grills that typically rust. For example where the handles are spot welded on the outside. Likewise for the leg sockets and any chips in the porcelain. I spray Pam in those areas and wipe off the excess. I figure it will eventually harden and provide some rust protection. Canola is commonly used to season cast iron where very thin layers are applied and then heated to cause it to harden. I think the same thing should happen in those crevices on the grills.
kettles, smokers...

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 04:41:04 AM »
There are certain places on the grills that typically rust. For example where the handles are spot welded on the outside. Likewise for the leg sockets and any chips in the porcelain. I spray Pam in those areas and wipe off the excess. I figure it will eventually harden and provide some rust protection. Canola is commonly used to season cast iron where very thin layers are applied and then heated to cause it to harden. I think the same thing should happen in those crevices on the grills.

Which leads to my next question; do I need to "re-PAM" once a year or is it a one and done?
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »
Which leads to my next question; do I need to "re-PAM" once a year or is it a one and done?
I don't know. I don't see where it would hurt.
kettles, smokers...

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies Hank!