Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer mod Update  (Read 2035 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Performer mod Update
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
My copper lid arrived this week - looks like the bowl will ship out next week.  In the meantime a couple of updates to my performer mod

New copper lid - clearly needs a Zav handle (to be ordered soon).  The lid had a hole for the thermometer - I reused the one off my Pizza Kettle.  I really like the new copper and think it is going to look great with dark wood handle and the stainless steel table.

I wanted to mount my Thermoworks unit in a clean fashion - used a C-clamp with a swiveling ball mount.  Very easy to remove the TW unit, and most importantly, the Weber cover still fits when the TW is removed.  The TW unit can use two probes and monitor kettle temp and internal food temp at the same time.

The probe is a 2,200 degree unit.  I ran it along the frame, under the table and into the kettle through one of the holes used for the propane lighter unit.  It is a great placement - above the charcoal grate, but under the grilling grate.  This position will allow me to remove the grilling grate for cleaning without having to deal with the probe, and keeps the tip of the probe right under the food.  My plan is to fabricate a metal support for the probe that will be held in place with the remaining bolt.

Wide angle shot

I think I am going to go with a dark wood for the handles (kettle and table) to match the stripe in the cutting board

I am also thinking about relocating the propane tank to the back of the unit - there is no need to have it in front. 

I don't think I am going to put a charcoal bin back in - I would rather use the space under the cutting board to store cutlery, spices, etc.  A shelf unit would be nice.

Of course, I still have to take the whole thing apart and clean/repaint, but it will be worth it.  This is going to be my "go to" kettle and will get lots of use.

Winz
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:02:06 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

AngelB

• WKC Brave
Re: Performer mod Update
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
Love the combo and work you have put in it!

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
Re: Performer mod Update
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »
That is already bad a$$, I can't wait to see it finished.  8)