Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cali Kalbi Short Rib cook  (Read 1603 times)

salad

• WKC Ranger
Cali Kalbi Short Rib cook
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:05:38 PM »
I decided to do some Korean Kalbi ribs today which required a trip to the Korean market yesterday.  I picked up some Kalbi marinade that they make fresh every day.  A quart container cost $2.99 and will marinate up to 5lbs, maybe more.  It's not too salty, has some sweetness, a little heat and the aroma of sesame oil.  Too good to even attempt to make myself.  Picked up a couple of pounds of Kalbi cut short ribs.  If you're unfamiliar with the cut, it's short ribs cut "flanken" style. 1/4" thick with a row of bone and a strip of meat.  You can find it at Latin or Asian meat markets.  Just marinate the short ribs for a day and then throw on the grill.  Easy Peasy.

Coal baskets just lit

Kalbi just put down

First turn

Gratuitous meat and sunset shot.  Finally stopped raining.  This Team Cali member can only take a day or so.

Time to eat.  Usually I sprinkle with some roasted sesame seeds and finely cut greed onion.  I had neither today so went with a little minced cilantro which was great.

Oh, and you need to eat this with white steamed rice.  It's amazing and super easy.  I've got a couple of pieces left.  They won't see tomorrow, I'm afraid. 

WTB 18 fruit

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Cali Kalbi Short Rib cook
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
That looks like a winner, no Korean groceries around here but we get the "trayed" ribs in our grocery stores. Your cook reminds me that I haven't made those in awhile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Cali Kalbi Short Rib cook
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:35:27 PM »
That looks good! I might have to find an Asian market!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:20:45 AM »
i went to college with a korean buddy.  we became roomies.  his mom makes the best kalbi.  the best ribs are the ones that are more "english" cut to start with, and someone with a very sharp knife and badass knife skills "unrolls" it off the bone in a thin strip leaving the bone attached at the end.

when i came to the marinate, she would just do a handful of this, a handful of that.  i could never get her to toss the handful into a measuring cup or scale, and jot it down on a notepad.  i have never found any better.

my wife is getting better, but i need to video my buddies mom if i ever see her again.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »
Great loooking cook!   
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *