Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question - COOK PHOTOS ADDED  (Read 5855 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Max Turkey Size and Cooking Preference Question - COOK PHOTOS ADDED
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
Outstanding, Mark!!  I don't have a roti, but that might be on the wish list.
I know you didn't use the roti for this cook, just the roti ring ... great idea for more space.

What was your charcoal set-up like? Just wondering as I have never done a turkey on the kettle. Will be very soon.  :D Thanks.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks MacEggs. I just put the coals in the standard Weber metal baskets on each side of the kettle. I tried to heap the coals toward the back of each basket because my turkey was so big the legs were dangerously close to being grilled direct instead of indirect. As it was the legs were a bit on the dry side, the rest of it was spectacular. On a more normal sized turkey you can just do the standard direct set up centered on both sides of the bird.

The next time I do a smaller turkey I'll definitely use the whole rotisserie setup. I can't recommend the Cajun Bandit rotisserie highly enough. The fit is excellent and the quality is top notched. You need one!  ;)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »
Looks great! Far better than mine, in fact.

I didn't tie the legs well enough to the fork and within an hour (when I first opened for inspection) it was flopping around the spit rod.  :( Then I took it to 180° because I saw that in someone's recommendation (even though I took my previous bird to 165°.) It was very tasty but on the dry side. The bird had practically no fat on it too. I should have buttered it up before going on the rotisserie. Oh, well, live and learn.
kettles, smokers...