Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up my new Copper OTG  (Read 6393 times)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Picked up my new Copper OTG
« on: November 12, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
And it was chipped, missing the handles and thermometer and both lid and bowl were wobbly when placed on a flat surface. I took it back to Home Depot for a refund. I will not be ordering another in the copper color. The new copper is a low gloss finish that honestly looks like it has overspray all over it and needs to be polished. There was actual overspray inside of the bowl which really doesn't matter. The triangle is now painted silver instead of chromed.

Here's the chip. Sorry for the low quality.

The new painted triangle.

It seems like every new Weber I buy has a problem. Everything is a 2013 (AT) model with the new serialized vents that start with CN(China maybe?). It started with my performer platinum. The lid was out of round. Then my 22.5" WSM that had damaged center section. My 14.5" WSM which was drilled incorrectly on the bottom bowl, legs were bent incorrectly and the door was smashed in.

Weber has replaced everything quickly but I'm a little iffy on their new products.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Picked up my new Copper OTG
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
Hatch,

That discouraging - hope your luck improves with new Weber products.  Can't believe quality control missed that handle.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Thanks. Me too. The damage could have happened in shipping. I figured with ship to store I would have better luck since they use their own trucking company. I know UPS and FedEx around here are not very friendly to large packages. I had my heart set on the copper until I saw it.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
I know it's a pain in the ass but call weber and send some photos, they will replace everything for free. I had to with my blue 22 and 26er...they shipped ASAP to fix my issues.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »
I just feel bad calling them so much. They have always made sure I was happy and even sent a $30 pair of gloves for my trouble last time since a part was backordered.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
I'm not a fan of the copper color, but am not surprised it's not shiny. It might be difficult to make it look glossy. The overspray is typical of the old ones as well, but I kind of like that about them.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
Wasn't the Target copper grills a shiny finish?  Wonder why they made this one more of a matte finish...

But still, that's some bad luck for sure.  Sorry to hear.  Makes the CL finds even more appealing.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
Wasn't the Target copper grills a shiny finish?  Wonder why they made this one more of a matte finish...

But still, that's some bad luck for sure.  Sorry to hear.  Makes the CL finds even more appealing.  :)

It could be possible that the matte finish requires a lower baking temp. Running ovens at really high heat isn't cheap so every $ counts
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
Thanks. Me too. The damage could have happened in shipping. I figured with ship to store I would have better luck since they use their own trucking company. I know UPS and FedEx around here are not very friendly to large packages. I had my heart set on the copper until I saw it.

Was the chipped of piece in the box?
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Sorry to hear of the bad luck. You had a look and now can return... Sorry it didn't work out.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »
I saw the new Crimson color on display in a store near my house. The color was very dull, no shine or gloss whatsoever. Maybe this is the future of Weber grill colors? Also, I think there is something wrong with Weber quality as well. I bought the new 14.5 WSM and it was missing several parts. Mostly small hardware pieces. I had to go to my local hardware and buy the remaining pieces myself.

The charcoal ring didn't fit very well either. It was almost the same size as the charcoal grate? I had to center the charcoal ring precisely dead center on the charcoal grate in order to make it stay. One slight shift in any direction and the charcoal ring would slide off the side of the charcoal grate. I might have to cut the charcoal ring and remove a small section and then reweld it to make it smaller.

Also, the cooking grate wasn't level. It wobbled when it was placed in the cooker. I'm thinking this stuff is being made in China? Maybe that's why the vent dampers no longer say "Made in USA" and why they now say that it is only "Designed and engineered in Palatine, Ill. USA".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:12:22 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

esq3585

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Picked up my new Copper OTG
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:29:10 AM »
I have had similar QC issues with a copper 57cm , I am on my third lid now and have given up , although the imperfections are minor and not as severe as yours I also feel Weber are slipping in the QC dept. They Dont seem to be able to finish the vent holes on mine correctly leaving bare metal on the vent hole

esq3585

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:46 AM »
That's a chip on your vent hole. Of all places I wouldn't expect one there.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

esq3585

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Picked up my new Copper OTG
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24:13 AM »
That's a chip on your vent hole. Of all places I wouldn't expect one there.
Two out of the 3 lids I have had have had they marks now, here's the replacement they sent direct from Weber UK lid number 3