Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket on the 26er!  (Read 5872 times)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brisket on the 26er!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
Great looking cook!

From the pictures and the desciption it looks like the brisket was a little undercooked.  If the flat of the brisket was a little dry, but did not crumble when slicing it, it was undercooked.

Your version of probe tender might not be to where the flat is actually done.  Next time you do another brisket, do your version of probe tender then add another 30mins worth of cook time and then reprobe it (each time the brisket is undercooked when you slice it, extend the probe tender feel you had by another 15-30mins).  It took me 3 attempts to finally understand what probe tender felt like in a brisket flat.  After I got it right, I have been able to consistently put out properly cooked brisket that my friends rant and rave about.

What the heck!? I have so much to learn. I will learn tho! I WILL amaze my family, friends, and myself! I will ruin BBQ restaurants for them all!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 03:30:22 AM »
Looks amazing!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:43 AM »
Great looking cook!

From the pictures and the desciption it looks like the brisket was a little undercooked.  If the flat of the brisket was a little dry, but did not crumble when slicing it, it was undercooked.

Your version of probe tender might not be to where the flat is actually done.  Next time you do another brisket, do your version of probe tender then add another 30mins worth of cook time and then reprobe it (each time the brisket is undercooked when you slice it, extend the probe tender feel you had by another 15-30mins).  It took me 3 attempts to finally understand what probe tender felt like in a brisket flat.  After I got it right, I have been able to consistently put out properly cooked brisket that my friends rant and rave about.

What the heck!? I have so much to learn. I will learn tho! I WILL amaze my family, friends, and myself! I will ruin BBQ restaurants for them all!

Thats good advice.  I was terrified of overcooking brisket and had to force myself to leave it on the grill longer.  I just cooked my first successful brisket on my WSM last weekend.  The internal temps had hit the low 190's and I could slide a skewer through it, but I couldn't really tell if I was hitting resistance.  I decided to start checking it at 15-20min intervals.  After the 3rd attempt at probing I felt a change, and the probe slide in much easier but definitely hit a firm spot in the middle.  One or two checks later it literally slid right through.  It was so tender that I didn't even have to hold the brisket from the other side to put the probe through the center.  Final internal temp was 202 i think.  Either way, it was amazingly tender.  It was just firm enough to slice with a knife for serving, but tender enough to break apart with the side of a fork.  It got rave reviews from the friends and family, and I was blown away with how much I liked it.  I can't wait to cook it again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:42:02 AM by OoPEZoO »
-Keith

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 06:36:53 AM »
Brisket looks fantastic and even better when I saw it plated up.  The write up and pics are excellent.  I never done the snake method before.  How long did you snake method roughly last before you added more coals?
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
Brisket looks fantastic and even better when I saw it plated up.  The write up and pics are excellent.  I never done the snake method before.  How long did you snake method roughly last before you added more coals?

The first snake I set up was two on the bottom of comp k and then 1 on top of a mix of lump and k blue. This went for about 9.5 hours before I set up another next to the lit coals and reversed the rotation and I set this one with 2 on the bottom of comp k and then two on top of k blue then alittle lump on that as this one would need to go longer as I was going to do more cooking after the brisket came of and I added the beans in the mix to. No pictured between pulling the beans and the brisket is where I smoked some sausages and some wings. Then I bumped up the heat to do the potatoes. That snake went for 11.5 hours roughly but done a lot more cooking.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

parac

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Art ...Art at it's best!!
* '13 Weber "Go Anywhere" * '14 Weber OTP 57 * Maverick ET-85 * Superfast RED Thermapen