Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: i need help with the site  (Read 8169 times)

Troy

• Statesman
i need help with the site
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
seriously.

i want to take this site to the next level, but i need your help.

Here are some skills I need:
- someone who can write
- someone who is comfortable using social sites like facebook and twitter
- someone who can make video (or edit, or appear in)
- someone comfortable with a little web programming (html, css, php)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: i need help with the site
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
I don't have any web programming experience. I do know facebook and I have twitter. I'm on FB way more than twitter. Writing, I'm not bad at... is there anything I can help with? I want to see this site grow too. The 'other site' is a ghost town compared to before WKC. This is the fun site, I feel comfortable here. I like everyone here.  Weird, but lately I get the vibe over at 'the other place' like I don't belong as much. But I know that is not unique to me.

Craig

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
You're not alone with that 'unwelcome' feeling.
I'm pretty sure many of them read up on everything in our forum.

Last couple times I posted i got PMs from several people asking if i was there to cause trouble :(

Anyhoo - You want to help me kickstart the blog on the main site? How about a post showing off and talking about the crazy changes that weber is launching (jumbo joe, new platinum, etc)

You ever used wordpress?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
My writing skills are decent Troy, I'd be happy to help with some stuff just let me know.  As far as FB...I have an account, but rarely use it or post on there.   Keep me in mind if you want me to write anything or look at anything you have.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
thanks jeff. have any topic ideas you feel like writing about?

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:53:49 AM »
Id wouldnt mind writing about anything.  Do you have some topics in mind?  Fire away!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:07 AM »
My php is just okay, but I'm very conversant in html and css. Let me know how I can help. Not too bad with video either.

Chad A

NJ Griller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
Hey Troy, I know this is one of my first posts but it hit on two things for me. First regarding your original request. I do not have the skills to help you with the backgroud stuff but in creating topics or other areas of interest I could help. For example, creating a sub section regarding restoration of old kettles and the different steps or proccesses used to maintain an old kettle. This site probably has one of the best resourses of knowledge around. On the second topic, I think there are a few things that happened when this site went live that urked people over there. I signed up here because I enjoyed that banter and knowledge the main group that shifted to this site has. However, some shots directed at Chris mainly from one person that went against the rules form we signed here, really left a bad taste. Its is my opinion that some feel like it was a "one or the other" due to that. Personally, I like all the originators over here so that is why I joined and would help if needed.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »
Hi NJ, thanks for the feedback.

I'd love a nice piece of content filled with knowledge on how to restore old kettles.
This community has more cumulative knowledge on that topic than any other and I'm sure if we put our brains together we could make something amazing.

Regarding the shots towards Chris - I agree with you. I don't want the purpose of this site to solely serve as a home for childish name calling. It was more understandable at the beginning. The starters of this community were all very passionate towards the topic, and we all felt offended and hurt by the way the other site was operated. I think, and hope that we've all moved on. I believe the sites can and should coexist. I still head over there and contribute every now and again :)

If you see something that doesn't feel right - please let me know.

omarlemus

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:27 AM »
I am a video production professional and would be happy to help out with shooting and editing of video. I guess even appearing in, but that only a last resort :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »
nice!
I'm video shy too.

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
Everyone keeps referring to "the other site" which site would that be?
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
There is no other site.  ;-)

omarlemus

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Here are some video samples of cooks I have done at home with my Performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:31:10 AM »
I havn't used word press. Is it something I could set up easily on my computer?

Craig