Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My "cold call" easterner!  (Read 6327 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
My "cold call" easterner!
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
So in the off topic section earlier this week I asked about cold calling on a kettle that I had spotted. So any ways I built up my courage and went for it. I stopped at the apartment complex parked near the kettle found what I believed was the unit that the kettle belonged to. Went up the stairs to knock on the door and there was a huge gate blocking me from getting on to the stoop and to the units door. I looked around the corner and seen the door about a 3 feet away. Well I reached around and knocked on the walk as close as I could to the door and was promptly greeted with loud braking from 2 dogs that were unseen at the moment then from further down the stoop/deck out of a doggie door installed on the sliding door came barrling at me the two huge as hell dogs ( no kidding my pup is 92lbs of muscle). So I take my steps back down the stairs and wait to see if someone comes to see what the heck is going on. Nobody comes. I spot someone at a nearby building and ask them if they know who the tenants are in that unit he says no. So I proceed to my truck thinking I will return. I say wait dumby write a note and tell them you have interest in an item of theirs. So start writing the note on hood of my truck and I hear noise and talking come from within the unit. So I try knocking one more time. This time greeted by a tenant. I get the hold one minute finger. I wait on the steps for 15 mins and finally am greeted. I explain I am interested in the grill as it really caught my eye and I am an admirer of said grills and have wanted one for some time like this one in particular. She asks me what I think it is worth and I say I am not really all that sure as I don't currently own one like it but would like to given the chance too. So to this she says I have 2 other grills like it 1 bigger and 1 smaller. She uses the smaller one but this one and the bigger one she has in storage. She also has a gas go anywhere too. The kicker she picked them all four up for $20 at a yard sale about 8 years ago. So she tells me here good fortune is now mine and sells it to me for .........

Ready......

Wait for it.....

$5.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics to follow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: My "cold call" easterner!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
Great work Mikey!
It just goes to show that it never hurts to ask , unless of course the owners dogs get a hold of you
Hurry up with those pics!!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
DOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  That is AWESOME!  I love it.  Excellent Story!  I want to see the other grills now.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
Thanks AZ! You are becoming a 1st class GFA! ;)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
So first pics are of it as I brought it home. Ash pan just dirty, wheels a bit faded with spots of surface rust, triangle alot of heavy spots of rust, charcoal grate there but bowed, cooking grate just used and dirty, inside dirty then the outside dirty with over spray white paint on it, handle good shape just needs refinished, vents in great shape, bottoms stop tabs there but bent over, on ding in the lid very small above the lip, porcelain missing in one small spot on lid and just a very tiny area around lid handle. Other than that it is prefect.

Clean up pics to come up next.

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »
That grill looks near perfect to me! It's a funny thing how common the white overspray phenomenon is. It seems like nearly every old grill I get has some, in fact I just cleaned up two today from different places that had it. The metal wheels look like they are in excellent condition. Wow what a grab!

BTW, you need to put that last shot in with the 'Pets' thread.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:27:53 PM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
Man!!! $5 for that!? That's a steal!! Congratulations!! Is it a Patent Pending?

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »
Looks awesome!  Man, that was a great deal for five bucks!  GJ Mikey!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »
Nice pick up and great story. The grill looks in great condition, especially for $5!

One day I will spot a nice grill 'in the wild'. Maybe if I drive around the central coast of NSW. ;D

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
Clean up pics and first cook on it last night. It cleaned up very easily and fast. I want to work some more on it as there are a few little stubborn spots of grime inside and out and also want to work a lot more on the triangle, need to refinish the handle also. Enjoy here for viewing pleasure I give you the cleaned up EASTERNER!!!

So can anyone help me narrow it down to a specific year?

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
best $5 ever spent by anybody ever.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
That flattie looks new! If anyone can nail that year it's Craig. ;)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Nice job Mikey. That cooker looks brand new!!!! I could tell you heated it up just by seeing the plumish hue to the kettle just before the food picture!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
 :o drool!! Did you ask about the one she had in storage? 
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
What a remarkable story and restoration.  Well done!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 05:52:34 AM by G$ »