Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I love big butts!! :) video  (Read 1833 times)

TwinDr.

• Smokey Joe
I love big butts!! :) video
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:41:53 PM by TwinDr. »
"Yes honey, I don't know what I was thinking."

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: I love big butts!! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
All right an Oklahoma Joe thread.....This is the oldest one I have seen in 3 years of looking...(Serial #4858).  It smokes really well and is a beast.....

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:46:15 PM by harris92 »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
I'll chip in with my New Braunfels Black Diamond

To be honest the jury is still out on this one. The WSM is so easy to smoke with and this one takes a bit of work. But I suppose the WSM is so easy since I've been using one for four years now. I think offsets look cool and smoking with wood (vs. charcoal) and controlling temperature via fuel (vs. controlling combustion air) is a concept I still wish to explore.
kettles, smokers...

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
I love big butts!! :)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
Okay good, we've got some Oklahoma Joe experts here, I've got questions. I think I've read that they were bought out at some point and the quality dropped after that. I also think I've read that the firebox went from being welded on to bolted on and that the whole thing was made out of lighter metal. Is there a serial number cut off  or range that tells you what your looking at in a ad? Is there something else on the tag that's a give away that you're looking at a older one? Any sort of handle or shelf detail that indicates its old? I see them turn up on Craigslist and it'd be nice to know what I'm looking at before I start burning some if this expensive gas these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TwinDr.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
I'll ask a buddy for serial # guidance.  What I do know is that the "good " ones are 1/4" and the "sold out" ones and 1/8" metal.  I have the 1/8" metal one.  Still miles ahead of most store models.
"Yes honey, I don't know what I was thinking."

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »
One just popped up on CL here. First I've seen:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bfd/4129934102.html

It looks like they've been grilling on it and that's hard on the smoke chamber. The PO did that with my NBBD and did not get the inserts to protect the bottom of the smoke chamber from heat. All of the paint was burned off the outside. It also looks like the firebox is bolted on so it might be one of the newer ones. Those that know OK Joes can probably tell more from the pictures. (It's close enough that I could act as an agent if this interests anyone.)

By the way... When I read the title I expected to see some pulled pork pr0n. Where's the pork?  :o
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
kettles, smokers...