Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New question (no pics at all)  (Read 16171 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: New question (no pics at all)
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »
Not like I have to come clean about anything...it was just an Ebay acquisition and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.
That grill has been a Grail for me for some time now.  Before this site was around, back to the old site, and even when you had your old Imperial Shaun.
I saw the grill, emailed the seller if they would consider a BIN...no initial offer even made.  I was lucky enough they contacted me back.

No victory lap necessary or front page news necessary.   Any of you that know me know I collect as much as I grill.  It was an important grill left on my list, I was lucky enough to get it. 
I know you don't care to see pics Shaun since you indicated it on a previous post, but I'm happy to share with others if they have interest.  The grill was better than advertised.

And Shaun, as far as you saying you can probably count the number of people on one hand that would spend more than 200 on a grill, you're pretty low in your estimate.  I know that for a fact.   Many people have their special trigger points...its just a matter of when their "special" grill comes along.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:46:29 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Not like I have to come clean about anything...it was just an Ebay acquisition and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.
That grill has been a Grail for me for some time now.  Before this site was around, back to the old site, and even when you had your old Imperial Shaun.
I saw the grill, emailed the seller if they would consider a BIN...no initial offer even made.  I was lucky enough they contacted me back.

No victory lap necessary or front page news necessary.   Any of you that know me know I collect as much as I grill.  It was an important grill left on my list, I was lucky enough to get it. 
I know you don't care to see pics Shaun since you indicated it on a previous post, but I'm happy to share with others if they have interest.  The grill was better than advertised.

And Shaun, as far as you saying you can probably count the number of people on one hand that would spend more than 200 on a grill, you're pretty low in your estimate.  I know that for a fact.   Many people have their special trigger points...its just a matter of when their "special" grill comes along.

Then why didn't you just come out and admit it in the first place? It's like that speckled sj all over again! I'm glad you got it and there was no foul on contacting the seller. I know you have always wanted one. Congratulations!

I'm referring to your wood dale and I challenge you to name more than five members that are willing to pay over $200 for it and actually see that deal through. Maybe you can? I think it would break $300 on ebay, why not just put it there then?   ???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:56:45 AM by Duke »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
It's not that hard to figure out who gets grills and who doesn't....I have dealt with people here who would be on a short list.  Some people are serious and I know this and have expressed interest in certain grills.....there are those who are serious and those who aren't....I would go to the serious one first and go from there....

As far as Grails, that is something different to everyone...some may want this and some may want that...really hard to tell what is something someone really wants. 

I guess at the end of the day some of the more common things will be picked up and traded and some will be held on to as a grail....Personally I collect things and trade up to get something I really want...I believe at this point it is a game for those who are lucky or loaded....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
Oh and the issue of cooking on a grail....I have some things that are so nice, I just won't cook on them.  There is no reason...I have a bunch of new stuff I cook on, but there is a bunch of stuff that I have that's old, and I do pull it out and cook on it....it's always fun to fire up an oldie and cook on it....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »
As far as listing the smokey on ebay...is it wrong to want anonymity? I chose not say anything initially...after the thread got going, I thought ultimately it was just better to say it was me as there were other members that knew. just my personal decision. That's all.   My choice not to say something about the Imperial was the same. Just my choice. I would've said something at some point, but since you asked, I said it. Not much more to it than that.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »
Regarding the lime grill,  yes it is very nice.  I don't know how long I will keep it (6 months, 1 year, etc.).  When the time comes to move it, I will probably look for a trade (depending on my interests at that time). :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
As far as listing the smokey on ebay...is it wrong to want anonymity? I chose not say anything initially...after the thread got going, I thought ultimately it was just better to say it was me as there were other members that knew. just my personal decision. That's all.   My choice not to say something about the Imperial was the same. Just my choice. I would've said something at some point, but since you asked, I said it. Not much more to it than that.

Yes it is wrong. When you are a member of a tight knit group where others know you and deal with you, especially as an advisor we should always be forthcoming about these things. It was upsetting when I thought I was going to have to bid on ebay to buy a fellow members grill and know I wasn't the only one who felt betrayed. Just the fact it was also under another name added insult to injury. I don't even care that I was one of the first to see it, I didn't expect to win it because it was ebay and priced usually go higher than I would be willing to pay there. It was a real let down because I would like to find a black speckled one day. By the way, don't act like you didn't know it would go for $200.  ::)

On the Imperial, I wasn't the only one who was asking you about it. Why was it like pulling teeth to get an answer? That's lying and sets a bad example. I knew you had it when you didn't reply to the thread on it.

The Advisors do not make up the WKC, the Members make up the WKC, without all of them this site would not survive.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:15:26 AM by Duke »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »
this thread has some good discussions going on

however, leave accusations out of it.
no one has done anything wrong and I am NOT going to allow another bullshit smear campaign happen.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
Thanks Troy, I agree it was a good discussion. If you decide to lock this right now would probably be a good time. :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
I'd like to see how more people feel and what other ideas are out there :)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Yes it is wrong. When you are a member of a tight knit group where others know you and deal with you, especially as an advisor we should always be forthcoming about these things. It was upsetting when I thought I was going to have to bid on ebay to buy a fellow members grill. Just the fact it was also under another name added insult to injury. I don't even care that I was one of the first to see it, I didn't expect to win it because it was ebay and priced usually go higher than I would be willing to pay there. It was a real let down because I would like to find a black speckled one day. By the way, don't act like you didn't know it would go for $200.  ::)

On the Imperial, I wasn't the only one who was asking you about it. Why was it like pulling teeth to get an answer? That's lying and sets a bad example. I knew you had it when you didn't reply to the thread on it.

Number 1!
I'm sorry this thread is getting muddied up with a difference of opinions

Number2!
I'm adding insult to injury because I listed the Smokey under my wife's account???  For your info Shaun, I don't even have my own account and am not about to create one to sell a grill.  BTW...what's your injury??  I've sold numerous items on Ebay not even related to Weber.  I have a perfect rating and have no reason to create a new account just for this.
When you first found this grill, you emailed me personally behind the scenes, asked if it was mine, then asked me how much is it gonna take.  I didn't even answer how much to you.  You knew it was me then automatically took your hat out of the ring and said publically in the club to all other interested members,  quote...I'm stepping aside, but I appreciate that all of you allowed me a chance. I think that really shows the camaraderie that I would like to see the site maintain.  :)   You got out because you found out I was selling it...not because of "camaraderie" strictly.

Number 3!
Don't forget one important thing...I was the owner of this said grill.  I can chose to use whatever means I WANT TO ultimately to sell it.  Thank you for your opinions on the "right" way to handle these things.  I never knew you had all the right answers and there was no other way handle this situation.  You know, you HAD an even better Smokey than this in RED with an offset handle.  You really "wanted" that one too and said it wasn't going anywhere (yes I still have our email exchanges about it).  Well you had it and still sold it.  You say now you also "really want a speckled Smokey"  Do you?  For how long?   There are a lot of things you've really wanted in the past, and even had members that were willing to go out there their way to get these grills for you, their time, their gas, their effort to pack them up and ship them.  Only to not too far in the future to see these grills listed or traded to someone else shortly after you got them.  I'm not naming names, but this is FACT.  There are those that are disappointed in you for something that THOUGHT they were going out of their way for YOU...only to see them here and gone.

Number 4!
How I chose to disclose the Imperial is my decision and mine alone.  It doesn't matter that you're upset how I chose to disclose it.  And lying is bad example???  Please tell me where I lied Shaun?  Is non-disclosure on your time frame a lie? 

Number 5!
Please stop with your "holier than thou attitude" and "love fests" as of late on so many threads.  You're not so perfect yourself, and many of us are guilty of not being perfect...myself included.
If you chose to stop commenting on any future threads of mine, I'm sorry you feel that way.   Lets just agree to disagree here even though I have a feeling you're going to twist words to come off as "the good guy" 
There are many that privately are questioning your agenda lately, and or motives.  And lastly, why do you feel you are entitled to money or any trivial gains that this site generates?  Yes, that's right, while this isn't public knowledge so to say...it IS documented.  Troy does an amazing job keeping this site up and going in his "spare" time.   I'm sure he puts money out every month out of his own pocket to keep it going.  Why do you think he is experimenting with advertising on the site? 

Number 6!
I'm sorry again for airing dirty laundry on a public thread, but enough is enough.  Troy, please lock it if you feel the need.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
Well said Jeff. I've been following this thread, and others like it for some time. You are absolutely doing the right thing in every way. Kudos for making your position crystal clear for anyone who is having trouble making sense of what seems to me to be a simple case of personal choice. I myself make choices like you have (some related to kettles) every day, and choose to share only a portion of them with the club. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Marty

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
I've heard enough number two, it's time to move on. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:17:43 PM by Duke »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
Group HUG!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
What if we started a market within each town we live in?
That way the kettles stay local, there's no shipping and everyone's happy
Kinda like a farmers market
http://youtu.be/afY4v0y4fL4
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution