Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle cast iron corn bread  (Read 5986 times)

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Kettle cast iron corn bread
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
Used my Martha White Lodge pan the wife scored. No pics in pan it was to dark. Used the lodge recipe http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipe/basic-cornbread and it came out great. Not bad for my first time. Big pad of butter and some honey on top.

WTB: Genesis Jr.

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle cast iron corn bread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:05:15 AM »
Looks good! Pictures of the pan and the technique for the cook would be interesting as well.

I didn't know that Lodge has recipes on their web site. Makes sense I suppose, much like Weber's recipes.
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
Cast iron and weber kettles were made for each other.  Nice job. I assume that is a 10 in skillet.

I have cooked cornbread many times on the grill. Reminds me when my grandma did it in her old cast iron pan.

Here is a recipe I like. I used a 12 in skillet so I doubled the ingredients. I like the sour cream - gives the bread a nice flavor and keeps it moist.
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/222619/sweet-corn-bread-2

Here is a thread with some pics

Blackened-tilapia,-taters,-ad-cornbread http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=3344

Camp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »
To me, cornbread is merely a butter delivery device.

Looks great !
SS Green Performer, Blue OTP, Red MBH, Green OTS, 79 Black MBH, Blue 18.5 Platinum, Black OTG, and a brand new Spirit E gasser.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »

To me, cornbread is merely a butter delivery device.

Looks great !

Lol!  :)

Kettles, cast iron, and cornbread.... A match made in heaven!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
thanks guys

I used a special Lodge Cast Iron Pan created specifically for a corn bread competition also sponsored by Martha White Corn Bread Mix. The pan is offered as an 8" and is nice and deep. The recipe filled the pan with about 1/4" from the top so even though I did not have the 9" the recipe called for I think it's all in the same neighborhood.

My biggest stress was temp. I cooked a Pork Sirloin Tip Roast (Costco) and wanted that 325-350 but the cornbread recipe called for 425 so cooking at the same time wasn't a reality, basically I made a real hot pile of coal, shut tight the vents with just a crack and was able to get temps close to 350-375. As soon as I pulled the roast I cranked open all of the vents to get temps back to 400+ and just settled the roast in some foil to wait for the bread.

Pre Heat was done in the kitchen oven with just sprayed on crisco, didn't want to disturb the roast. I probably pulled the pan out of the oven early, it wasn't totally hot but very warm and end product was perfect.

I'll do this again very soon, this pan is going to be dedicated to nothing but corn bread. This was so easy and the end product delicious.

Here is the bottom of the pan. Essentially it's a Lodge Logic pre seasoned cast iron pan.

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
Nicely Done!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »
I used a special Lodge Cast Iron Pan created specifically for a corn bread competition ...
I had no idea there were corn bread competitions!

Is the pan significantly different from the typical Lodge skillet? Are there differences beyond the logo cast into the base?
kettles, smokers...

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
I used a special Lodge Cast Iron Pan created specifically for a corn bread competition ...
I had no idea there were corn bread competitions!

Is the pan significantly different from the typical Lodge skillet? Are there differences beyond the logo cast into the base?

Nothing special, just the fancy logo really. Here is the pan I used compared to an old Wagner I acquired recently from the wife's grandmas. Almost identical in size, shape and angles of pan.