Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Left handed grillers  (Read 4784 times)

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
Left handed grillers
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
How many lefty's have a performer and have trouble with the lid holder and lid getting in the way ??
I don't use mine anymore I set up a table and set the lid on that. When I use my kettle's I have no problem with the lid hook it leaves lots of room to move and flip food. I tried turning the performer around but that just feel wrong.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Re: Left handed grillers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
I'm a lefty at some things, grilling being one of them - I guess for me it's not as bad, although I do grab the lid with my right hand on occasion and it becomes one of those 'hmmm' moments.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
I'm a lefty and I guess I've just got use to it, most of my cooking is indirect , so its meat on close lid and wait, plus I bank my coals on that side so I use the rest of the grill to cook on, high heat cooking like steaks is done in the middle.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
There's a thread on the Brethren site that shows a SS Performer taken apart and put back together to "fit" a lefty.  If you have a SS P, that might be an option for you.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
I've never seen a full lefty conversion. Some people put the panel on the otherside but I haven't seen the charcoal bin and gas bits moved over. It would be interesting to see though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
I've never seen a full lefty conversion. Some people put the panel on the otherside but I haven't seen the charcoal bin and gas bits moved over. It would be interesting to see though.

Yeah, I found the thread.. it's just as you described... charcoal bin is in front.  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71283
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:43 AM »
I'm a lefty when I remove the lid ... but, that's it. I use the utensils with my right hand.

But, I'm a little weird anyway ... I shoot left in hockey, but, I am a right-handed golfer.  :o ??? ;D ;)

Sorry, Dave .. I can't help you with your original question. It's a right handed world, dude.  :-X
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
Yeah it is a right handed world - all we can do is keep on cooking on our webers

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »

Yeah, I found the thread.. it's just as you described... charcoal bin is in front.  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71283

Not the Performer in question, but :o :o :o  Creative...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Left handed grillers
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
Anyone know what size barrel is on the 18" in the background? I wonder if my smokey joe platinum can work as a converted wsm with that.. Side air vents are a worry though

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »
I think a 30 gal barrel is ~18" diameter.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:45 AM »
I don't have a performer, but I have a E-320 that's just a few years old. It has the knobs on the right side and the side burner on the left. I feel this is more laid out for the left handed griller. Even when not using the side burner the left side is the only spot u have to set something. So when taking stuff off you have to go to the left. I don't use it much and I'm right handed. But, my misses uses it all the time. She loves the grill and calls it her grill.

Weber needs to sell a elevated table / tray that can sit on the right side of a newer or older genesis and double as a serving tray for bringing food in.

Since these models have the side table mounted knobs and no flip up tables it really takes away from the ease of use, and is the biggest draw back of this model. I'm glad the new ones have the knobs on the front.
#grubdubs

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
I don't have a performer, but I have a E-320 that's just a few years old. It has the knobs on the right side and the side burner on the left. I feel this is more laid out for the left handed griller. Even when not using the side burner the left side is the only spot u have to set something. So when taking stuff off you have to go to the left. I don't use it much and I'm right handed. But, my misses uses it all the time. She loves the grill and calls it her grill.

Weber needs to sell a elevated table / tray that can sit on the right side of a newer or older genesis and double as a serving tray for bringing food in.

Since these models have the side table mounted knobs and no flip up tables it really takes away from the ease of use, and is the biggest draw back of this model. I'm glad the new ones have the knobs on the front.

I always thought that was a terrible design. No idea why they did it that way.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
I forgot to say, my wife is left handed.
#grubdubs