Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)  (Read 11162 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Re: First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Good score MD. I would definitely put some sand in the bottom and even a charcoal grate, just to help with the direct heat Boeing on the bowl. Also try naval jelly on the rust. Just soak and rinse.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Good score MD. I would definitely put some sand in the bottom and even a charcoal grate, just to help with the direct heat Boeing on the bowl. Also try naval jelly on the rust. Just soak and rinse.

Thanks for the advice, Peaspurple, will definitely try that.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
I ordered a new hardware pack for mine which was a floor model and missing the fiber washers. I received it last week and they no longer include the fiber washers. The same goes with the handle kit.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
I took mine apart yesterday, and the "fiber" washers seem to be aluminum. The original owner assembled them all inside out and backasswards; no washers here, triple washers there. I was able to sort it all out, and used a magnet to determine which washers were steel and which were not as they were all equally dirty. It will go together correctly soon enough. How hard can it be?

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
I ordered a new hardware pack for mine which was a floor model and missing the fiber washers. I received it last week and they no longer include the fiber washers. The same goes with the handle kit.

Just in case you didn't know, Home Depot carries fiber washers in stock. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 06:20:27 AM »
Thanks. MartyG is right. They seem to have replaced the fiber washers in the kit with aluminum ones.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 06:34:10 AM »

Thanks, BMan, I checked Lowes but couldn't find any.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
Once you have the legs all cleaned up I remember using some stuff called Never Dull wading compound.  Its a white cotton ball looking stuff you would rub on the legs after all the rust is off to make them shine really good and would help clean up the legs even more.  Used the stuff on my remote control race cars if I wanted my aluminum or steel parts to shine and look a lot nicer overall.  Great working stuff.  Last time I bought Never Dull it was in a blue can.  Matter of fact I will be looking for some today at the local auto parts store or like a Pep Boys.

http://www.nevrdull.com/
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

They have them. I've bought them before. 9 times out if ten the employee has no clue what you are asking for. They are with the specialty fittings. I know HD has them too. You may even want to try ace up from you.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

They have them. I've bought them before. 9 times out if ten the employee has no clue what you are asking for. They are with the specialty fittings. I know HD has them too. You may even want to try ace up from you.

I checked the Ace too.  Talked to one of the associates - they didn't have them.  It's moot now anyway since I ordered the hardware pack from Weber.  I get why Weber replaced the fiber washers since they don't hold up well.  Almost every fiber washer on this fire pit was in bad shape.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 06:30:09 AM »
Update: After the Dremel I put some naval jelly (thanks Peaspurple) on all the metal pieces to remove any rust I may have missed, then applied two-three coats of high heat resistant aluminum paint.  I ordered the hardware kit from Weber CS but after putting the old handles back on, the fire pit still looked tired:

So I decided to order new handles from Weber CS and I think the new handles really set it off.  Here are the finished pics:

Thanks for looking and for all the advice I received along the way, but mostly I'd like to thank Thin Blue Smoke who not only served as an agent but who also happens to be a really good guy and grillfella - I fondly call this my Chicago Weber Fire Pit.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
Wow, that looks great, MD!  Nice restoration.  And thanks for documenting it for those of us who dream about adding a fire pit to our collection.
One of the charcoal people.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
Wow, that looks great, MD!  Nice restoration.  And thanks for documenting it for those of us who dream about adding a fire pit to our collection.

Thanks Mike - this refurb was a really fun project.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
Is that grate from an 18.5"?  I might have to do that when I decide to break in mine. 
WTB 18 fruit

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Is that grate from an 18.5"?  I might have to do that when I decide to break in mine.

salad,

It's a 22.5.