Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)  (Read 11160 times)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »
I've seen a lot of really good restores on this forum and could use some advice.

Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) recently helped me check one off my wish list: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/like-new-fire-pit-highland-park-il/msg70269/#msg70269

Although it's not technically a kettle cooker, it is a kettle.  ;D

Here's a pic of the fire pit in his back yard:

TBS broke it down:

TBS boxed it and shipped it:

TBS did a great job packing it, using pipe insulation around the rim of the bowl and lid:

Here is everything unboxed:

We've had a lot of rain in the DC area the last few days but I was able to give it an initial clean this morning.  Here's the bowl:

And the lid:

The heat shield:

Here's where I need advice.  There is some rusting on the legs, rings, and ring supports:

The Craig's List posting stated that the pit had only been used once, which after the cleaning, I find hard to believe or they just neglected the hell out of it, but for $40 I can't complain too much. 

While I don't expect to get the metal pieces (legs, rings, ring support, and heat deflector) looking brand new, I'd like to get the rust and grime off.  I have a Dremel and grinder (probably too much for this job though) which I can use to take off the rust, but what should I use to prevent any further rusting? 

Should I get some exterior aluminum paint to cover the metal pieces or should I just use some clear Rustoleum to seal the pieces? Will the Rustoleum stand up to the heat?

There are also some chips on and around the rim of the lid.  Should I paint over these with high heat enamel grill paint?

The fiber washers are shot so I'm going to have to order some from Weber CS.  I may just order a whole new hardware pack.

Anyway, this is my first restore and I plan to have a lot of fun with it.  Any words of wisdom you'd like to share would be much appreciated and I'd like to thank Thin Blue Smoke for giving me this great project to work on.

I'll send more pics as I continue the restoration.

GC8

• WKC Brave
Re: First restore and could use some help (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
Looks good so far.  I don't really have any input on the legs as I'm still learning as well, but do you mind sharing what you used to clean the bowl?  I'm trying to accumulate all the different cleaning methods for when I tackle my Brownie and SS Performer.

Gracias
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:31:14 AM »
Looks good so far.  I don't really have any input on the legs as I'm still learning as well, but do you mind sharing what you used to clean the bowl?  I'm trying to accumulate all the different cleaning methods for when I tackle my Brownie and SS Performer.

Gracias

Only soap and water so far.  I have some Weber exterior grill cleaner that I'll use on it later.  I'll let you know how that works when I'm done.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
Thanks for the reminder that I need to clean up my CL Weber fire pit...

This post may be helpful in cleaning up those legs, etc.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-cleaned-up-some-smokey-joe-legs/msg60602/#msg60602
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
Thanks for the reminder that I need to clean up my CL Weber fire pit...

This post may be helpful in cleaning up those legs, etc.  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-cleaned-up-some-smokey-joe-legs/msg60602/#msg60602

Bob,

Thanks for the help! How did I miss that post?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
MD, I know it's boring (and might be cheating, too), but I'd check in with Weber CS about just replacing those legs.  The similar flat steel legs for the Jumbo Joe are only a couple of bucks apiece, and it's a lot easier and less chemically compromising to just replace them if you're looking for the shiny. 
One of the charcoal people.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
Great score MD! How about just either leaving the legs or painting them red? :)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
It may have been used once, but left sitting on the lawn the rest of it's life.  Which would explain the rust/deterioration on the feet.  Luckily, it's not anywhere near being bad, but something you should nip.  On my cast-iron table saw and other such tools, I use a scotch-brite pad and a product called TopSaver to remove the rust, which I think is just WD40 or something similar.  Cleaning the rust off of your stuff would be pretty easy, but I'm not sure what I'd use to protect it.  Most likely, I'd give a rattle can of high temp clear a try.  It can be found at auto parts stores.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »
MD great score, I purchased a NIB this summer. Have used it and they were made in China. I had flaking after the first fire. I am not sure what can help, Seems the plating is bad. My wood handles are burnt black on the bottom sides. Still love the fireplace though.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »
Congrats on scoring the fireplace.  I was going to say replacement parts may be rather inexpensive but it looks like some are no longer available.....

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-2720-9195-fireplace-parts-c-193079_193085_193143.html

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 07:25:51 AM »
Congrats on scoring the fireplace.  I was going to say replacement parts may be rather inexpensive but it looks like some are no longer available.....

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-2720-9195-fireplace-parts-c-193079_193085_193143.html

G,

I called Weber CS yesterday to order the hardware pack and cover for the pit.  I asked the rep if they had legs and she said they did.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
MD, I know it's boring (and might be cheating, too), but I'd check in with Weber CS about just replacing those legs.  The similar flat steel legs for the Jumbo Joe are only a couple of bucks apiece, and it's a lot easier and less chemically compromising to just replace them if you're looking for the shiny.

Mike, when I called Weber CS yesterday to get the hardware pack and cover, I did ask about the legs.  If the legs don't turn out, I'll probably order some.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
It may have been used once, but left sitting on the lawn the rest of it's life.  Which would explain the rust/deterioration on the feet.  Luckily, it's not anywhere near being bad, but something you should nip.  On my cast-iron table saw and other such tools, I use a scotch-brite pad and a product called TopSaver to remove the rust, which I think is just WD40 or something similar.  Cleaning the rust off of your stuff would be pretty easy, but I'm not sure what I'd use to protect it.  Most likely, I'd give a rattle can of high temp clear a try.  It can be found at auto parts stores.

Thanks, Chad.  The Dremel is doing a really good job of removing the rust.  I'll check out the high temp clear stuff either later today or tomorrow.  Will send pics of the legs when I'm done.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
Great score MD! How about just either leaving the legs or painting them red? :)

I'd bet that would look sharp.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
I think the Dremel did a good job