Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OK.........Finally.......Brisket..........  (Read 9334 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
OK.........Finally.......Brisket..........
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:44:37 AM »
Found a really pretty limp 17-1/2# Choice one.....

Trimmed to 15-1/4#...........

Shot with Big Ron's moisture retention comp. injection & rubbed with his "Hint of Huston" rub.....had to fold this dawg to get it in the tupperware for a rest............

Coal set, to start.....

Tried something different this time........took all the trimmings & loaded them in the bean pan to render down some, with some spices,as I diidn't want the beans to cook all nite & turn to mush.....

On at 10:15 last nite.....

5 & 6 AM......flipped over to fat cap up @ 5.....pulled out the pan @ 6.......

Beef Goo........

Added Great Northern's, red bells, onion bits, granulated garlic, molasses, and a little jalepeno ketchup & SBR's spicy to the flavoring......in at 7AM......................

Brisket was variously at 135~142 at different spots, so decided to foil with a bit of the goo & some unsalted beef broth at this time......more.......later........... 8)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:42:01 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
OK.........Finally.......Brisket..........
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Looking great buckie!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: OK.........Finally.......Brisket..........
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
IIRC you're supposed to get the meat past the danger zone (xxx-140°F) within four hours. I think you need a little more heat for a brisket that size. No doubt the outside surface was hotter faster so you should be OK.

I hope the rest of the cook went well.
kettles, smokers...

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
Holy Shit Beans and brisket goo sounds like heaven. That all looks great!
WTB: Genesis Jr.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
That is looking wonderful so far!
I am ready for the finished product!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »

Thanks for the reminder Hank.......the 135~142 was deep internal, while near the surfaces it was 175 & up, good thing to generally be aware of though............... ;D

The beans were simmered up from dry a few days earlier, but could've gone just a bit longer.......a few here & there were a bit on the crunchy side, however Ma & the other people that got this load of stuff siad the beans were right up there.....go figger ?

The wife made up salads, lemon cake bars & grandma green beans along with this stuff it was a good all- around deal......didn't get pics of all of it, but we always leave some at home, so maybe I can put that together later.......
The brisket was held, on kettle, while we were delivering around......just a single row of charcoal to keep it @ 170f or so in the holding tank.......still plenty hot for dinner......

This is the whole one, before we went out.....

I don't do a lot of these & may be incorrect about this, but having the point & flat almost slide apart like this, to me, is akin to the bone sliding out of a pork butt......IT'S DONE !!!!

And later on..........

Tenderbender.....

Flat was very tender, just slightly dry (probably from the extra hold time) & the point, sliced, was melt in mouth right on !!!!!

I could stand to practice up with these things more often !!!!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:01:57 AM »
Glad to hear it came out good! It looks great.

If the flat is a bit dry, it might not be completely done yet, surprisingly. The point will be ready much sooner.  If OD a slice will not support it's weight when held from one end. Instead it should pull apart easily.

If you're not already doing this, I highly recommend taking notes about what you did (in sufficient detail to reproduce it), how it came out and what you would do differently next time.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »

Thanks for the input, Hank !!!

"If the flat is a bit dry, it might not be completely done yet, surprisingly."

^^^^^ that's the mistake I kept making with these things in the "bad old days"......underdone looks just like overdone, at least on the flats......this one, I'm sure was a bit over the top......the flats slices that we drove around were just right, but having left it under just enough heat to keep it out of that previously mentioned 'danger zone' of 41~140f.....even swimming in broth, the flat dried a bit.............

*** how they were packed for transport was: Fairly thick sliced, pack the slices tightly together, dump in some of the constructed juice (hot), little foil pans w/ the cardboard covers, but with a piece of foil UNDER the cardboard, then wrapped in a big fluffy towel......way too hot to touch the underside of the pan, even 1 hr 25min later at Ma's house......

That is the dang tricky part with these things.....under / over done might almost SEEM the same !

I almost wish I could find point cuts only somewhere around here......
I can get those to go just right by themselves ......

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:49:11 AM by 1buckie »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
I almost wish I could find point cuts only somewhere around here......
I can get those to go just right by themselves ......
Just i case you didn't know this, I'm pretty sure the point by itself is called the tri-tip. That's what you would need to ask for but they are not found everywhere.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »

That might be something to check into......if I ask for tri-tip around here, it's going to be the bottom sirloin roast, near the outside curve of the back leg......that area also includes the ball tip, which is also good stuff.....

This is standard tri-tip, side-by-side with a carved off brisket point & they do look somewhat similar.......just from opposite ends of the cow ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

I'll research into this further.......thanks, man !!!!

Here's a couple links on meat.....my favorite subject.....

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/zen_of_beef_cuts.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »
Looks delicious, Ken!  What was the total initial cook time for this monstrosity?
I've only done 1 brisket cook ... on the UDS. Wouldn't mind trying on the kettle.  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:29:59 AM »
Mac................

It went from 10:15 pm to 12:15 the next afternoon, and like Hank pointed out, might have been better to go a little higher heat, at least in the earlier part of the cook.......mid-morning, I was going up to 275+ to mover things along a small bit & the innards were a smige uneven, I think because of that........also, something that big on a kettle might tend to end up with hot spots no matter how you move it around......which was done a little, to keep from right above coals........

The general resting was from 12:15 to 1:45, then some sliced for delivery, then the rest, in whole chunks, re-foiled w/ beef goo & set on a minimally warming kettle to hold for a few hours while the wife & I noodled around.......wait......that doesn't sound right......no.....it wasn't like that, I mean we were driving around & dropping off supper / dinner for folks....... 8)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 06:39:09 AM »
That thing was a behemoth!

The largest packer I have done was 15.5lbs.  I typically look for something between 12-14lbs so it will fit in the kettle without overhanging the coals.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 06:51:50 AM »

After trim,. it was around 15#.....just that the flat was really wide so I had to watch it a bit more carefully....... 8)

I seen a  guy plunk a 24#'er on a 22-1/2 WSM or UDS (same dia.)......just take an empty bean or soup can, both ends cut out & de-labelled, place under the center of the meat, perpendicular to the length & it makes it 'hump up' in the middle.......cook for a few hours & it will shrink enough to fit......might could've done that with this one....... ::)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »

After trim,. it was around 15#.....just that the flat was really wide so I had to watch it a bit more carefully....... 8)

I seen a  guy plunk a 24#'er on a 22-1/2 WSM or UDS (same dia.)......just take an empty bean or soup can, both ends cut out & de-labelled, place under the center of the meat, perpendicular to the length & it makes it 'hump up' in the middle.......cook for a few hours & it will shrink enough to fit......might could've done that with this one....... ::)

I have seen someone use a stainless steel bowl to create the hump to get them to fit.  I'm lazy and dont like to fuss with the meat once I put it on the kettle.  :P

Great looking cook though on it.  It has been a few weeks where I have done a brisket.  I might have to change that soon.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *