Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The birthday cook pork/pizza real time cook  (Read 2450 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
The birthday cook pork/pizza real time cook
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Well I've been showing some pics all summer on Facebook. It's time to cook for a crowd today. I'm going to be updating the thread multiple times throughout the day. First up to hit the grill is going to be a 10lb picnic shoulder. I'm following Aawa's suggestions and using an Adam Perry Lang shoulder recipe. Here's the link

http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/bone-in-pork-but-with-gren-apple-and-crushed-hot-red-peper

The grill setup: I've been thinking of how to add some more cook time to the snake method. I call this the coiled snake.

Hopefully this will prevent me from having to reload the grill later today. We shall see..,

Next up is the shoulder

This is the biggest I've done so far.

Took the skin off and injected it

It's in a waiting period now before it gets rubbed down and put on the grill. I'm hoping to get it on by 3am.

Still to come 5 batches of pizza dough, 3 batches of hamburger buns, and 3 cakes. I've got a lot of work to do but I love it! Cooking for 25ish people today, can't wait to fire up the grills for this.

Update 1

Pork moisturized and rubbed down

Then it got brushed down with canola oil

And it's hitting the grill at 3:15am.

Two yellow cakes done for the guests. Baked on the kamado.

Carrot cake for my son, this one will not be iced since he's a goof and doesn't like icing.

Pizza sauce bubbling away.

Hamburger buns are done! Two pans of these. Think I need to make another batch.

Old Blue rocking along like a champ.

Took a 90 minute nap and back at it again. Here's the pork after a quick apple juice spray.

The snake is looking good about 8 hours since it was started. I'm going to have to move the shoulder when it comes around that curve.

Be back later with more fun...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:45:30 AM by Chasing_smoke »
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Re: The birthday cook pork/pizza real time cook
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:14:06 AM »
Sweet thread so far!!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:33:30 AM »
Thanks Tim! It's been fun so far.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »
Oh man all that stuff looks great so far.  I can't wait to see the end product.

P.S.  Happy Birthday!
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
Thanks Aawa! APL is a very detailed chef. I'm digging what I've seen so far from your cooks and on his site. I'm going pretty much by his recipe this time. So far it looks great.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
More pics??? Interested to see how it turns out.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
I'm in pizza crust mode right now. I just pulled the pork off the grill. Had to hurry it along though with a higher temp.  It's gonna get busy.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »
Damn I got so busy I didn't get pics!  Everything was great. I will try that pork recipe again with a proper not rushed cook.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Oh I just remembered I got 14 hours out of the coiled snake. I'm running on 90minutes of sleep in about 30 hours things are a bit fuzzy..

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
14 hours on the coiled snake!?  I may have to give that a try...
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing CS!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 03:20:50 AM »
Great result on the coiled snake! Fantastic looking cook. Completely understand forgetting the pics at the end of such a mammoth effort. Well done for taking on so much and pulling it off!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »
Great work CS
I like the coiled snake idea, what type of wood did you use?

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
I used apple and cherry wood to smoke it.  I'm disappointed in myself because that shoulder was looking fantastic too. It needed another hour or so to be completely fall apart. It pulled back from the bone but felt like parts of different muscles didn't quite hit that sweet spot. Next time I will start around 18 hours or more ahead of time on that big of a shoulder.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
CS, you are an inspiration!  I want to be just like you when I grow up.  Can't believe you baked buns for hamburgers on top of everything else!  Amazing.

Happy birthday, my friend!
One of the charcoal people.