Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yes, another thread on the black plastic hubcap pushnut replacement  (Read 17712 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
The axle size for the pushnuts used for weber ketle hub caps is 3/8".

It is well documented that you can order them direct from weber.  If you are able to wait for shipping, this is a fine option. They are cheap and you get three.  Order spares.
It is well documented they can sometimes be found locally.  If you are able to find them locally, this is a fine option.  Sometimes Home centers have them in stock.  If you find them, buy spares.

But.

It is also well documented that typically  your local Ace Hardware will carry the following:
- a black push cap that looks like the perfect match, but is actually 7/16" and is too big.
- a white push cap that is the exact right size ... except the plastic cap is white.  If that is fine by you, knock yourself out.  I like original.

Being impatient and desperate, I bought two of each and performed surgery. 

I used aviation snips to cut the white plastic cap off of the properly sized but improperly colored white push caps, leaving me with just the metal starlock type fastener.  The white plastic cap was sacrificed because it is not needed.  Slightly more tricky is removing the starlock type fastener from the black cap.  I used pliers to gently compress the black cup so the starlock fastener was slightly bent. Be careful not to scratch the cap surface if you want a pristine cap.  I then used needle nose pliers, and a small screwdriver if needed, to carefully remove the starlock from the plastic cap without any marring.  It is ok if you bend the starlock washer because it too is sacrificial.  You are then left with plain black caps, and just the metal insert from the white caps.  Carefully but firmly press the starlock in to the black cap, being sure that you are putting it in the right direction.  You see, the white and black plastic caps themselves are the same size!

This worked perfectly for me.  It took me just a couple minutes and no swear words.

That being said, it doubles the cost of your already expensive Ace Hardware push caps.  It may not work for you.  You may be able to save some cost buy buying the properly sized starlock and inserting it in the black cap, but I did not look in to that.  You could just paint the white ones black couldn't you.  And geeze, why not just wait for the right ones anyway?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:58:20 PM by G$ »

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Yes, another thread on the black plastic hubcap pushnut replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
Nice write up G$.

I have been able to reuse mine and the ones that don't want to hold after being reused I have repaired with star push clips/retainers we stock in the shop at work. But good to know you can get all the parts at local hardware store if it is a must have kinda of thing for say a weekend cook out.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
I've been known to perform remedial surgery on the star locks when they have been loosened up with use. After removing them from the plastic cap, I use a metal drift to straighten out the compressed leaves of the star lock.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »
I've been known to perform remedial surgery on the star locks when they have been loosened up with use. After removing them from the plastic cap, I use a metal drift to straighten out the compressed leaves of the star lock.

+1. If they loosen up I just bend the tabs back with a needlenose pliers.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
My local Home Depot sells what G$ speak of and I've bought both for the same result.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
Just bought the white ones at my Ace and dissected them to transplant the innards to my original weber caps. I'm a little bit impatient. And I drive about two blocks from the Weber factory 5 days a week.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »
I just bought some Weber a few weeks ago.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
I used this same method a couple years ago to "make" a set of red caps for my redhead. It looked really cool for a while, but because the grill cover doesn't cover the wheels, the sun faded the caps and now they are a light pink. 
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
After destroying a couple sets of hubcaps I set out to find a more economical source then Weber/eReplacementParts/Lowes.  Grainger sells them in packs of 25 for $15.98 ($0.64 each).  I have a local store so I picked up a pack to see how they compare to Webers.  Here is the packaging:

I compared them to some other caps I had around.
Left: Old set from L-code 18.5
Center: Brand new set from Weber
Right: Grainger

You can find them at www.grainger.com by searching for item #4CUJ3. [You need to type the url into your browser, for some reason linking doesn't work.]

I don't have 12 grills that need hubcaps so if someone needs a set send me a PM and I'll put some packages together.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:27:28 PM by Neil_VT00 »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »
You can find them at www.grainger.com by searching for item #4CUJ3.
That link takes you to a 404 error, but I can browse to that website.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
@Harbormaster For some reason the web site doesn't like being linked to.  If you copy/paste the url it should work.

You can find them at www.grainger.com by searching for item #4CUJ3.
That link takes you to a 404 error, but I can browse to that website.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Great intel, Neil !

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
Very good information there. Thankyou!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »
For STL area grillfellas, it looks like there is a store in Maryland Heights.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »
I ashamedly screwed one of mine up during initial assembly out of the box...Being a function over form kind of guy, my fix was a hose clamp and putting that wheel on the side of the cooker that faces the fence :)
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown