Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 3-2-1 Method  (Read 7193 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
3-2-1 Method
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Hello:  I have another question (yeah...what a surprise) --

I was reading about the "3-2-1" method for ribs.  In this article, the writer cautioned that if you're doing baby back ribs, then make it 2-2-1.  Any opinions on this method, or tweaking it for baby back ribs?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: 3-2-1 Method
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
2-1-1 works well for me. I usually buy the swift costco 3 packs of bb's. They are decently meaty but don't need 5 hours of cooking time.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »
2-1-1 works well for me. I usually buy the swift costco 3 packs of bb's. They are decently meaty but don't need 5 hours of cooking time.

Thanks for your input.

I'm using baby back ribs that we bought in Publix.  I don't believe that I've ever done baby back ribs.  I generally do the regular spare ribs, which I've been doing for just two hours, indirect low.  I brine the ribs.  They come out pretty good, according to my palate.  Now I want to do real bbq, that is, as real as it can get on a gas grill.  (The weather isn't cooperating, and I don't want to use my fairly-new kettle in the rain).

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »

"(yeah...what a surprise)"   

I'M SURPRIZED !!!!!

Kettles rock.....in the rain !!!

Even though usually thicker than regular, the back ribs have less of the right kind of fat to flavor & tenderize......yeah, 2-1.5-1    maybe even less on the middle & last number.......foil braizing really loosens them up & if too, too long, it's pork mush / jello.................

This one only sort-of relates......it's foil braized reg. ribs, then taken out of foil later in the cook to re-glaze & firm up the coating......just to add another perspective to the sauce / foil / braize thing

also has a decent demonstration of the 'Bend Test"

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/swine-xylophone-hot-fast/msg41064/#msg41064
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »
Eapple I can easily go 2-1-1/2hr for most of the baby backs I make. They avg around 2-2.5lbs. I'm cooking at 275 too.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »

I'M SURPRIZED !!!!!

Even though usually thicker than regular, the back ribs have less of the right kind of fat to flavor & tenderize......yeah, 2-1.5-1    maybe even less on the middle & last number.......foil braizing really loosens them up & if too, too long, it's pork mush / jello.................

This one only sort-of relates......it's foil braized reg. ribs, then taken out of foil later in the cook to re-glaze & firm up the coating......just to add another perspective to the sauce / foil / braize thing

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/swine-xylophone-hot-fast/msg41064/#msg41064

I say "surprised" because I usually think of another question to ask right after I log off.  Instead of doing all my questions at one time, I ask them when I think of them.  It annoys some people, and intrigues others.  I apologize if I'm annoying anyone.  I am who I am, and I don't apologize for that.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.  I think that your suggestion is a good middle ground from which to start.  If the ribs come out too mushy, then it gets added to the experience vault for the next go-round.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »
Eapple I can easily go 2-1-1/2hr for most of the baby backs I make. They avg around 2-2.5lbs. I'm cooking at 275 too.

Thank you.  Someone else suggested doing 2-1.5-1.  I'm going to start there as a good middle-ground starting point, and using your suggestion as one parameter.

Everything that everyone is suggesting/recommending gives me an idea of what/where/when/how, and that certainly beats the hell out of starting out blindly.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:47:55 AM »
the longer that you leave the ribs in the foil the more tender they will be to the point to where the bones literally fall out, that it too much for me. 

Personally I think 1 to 1.5 hours is about all that baby backs need.  I know that you are hooked already but once you nail ribs, you will never look back. 
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:14:37 AM »
Ask away eapples, that's what we're here for.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 04:02:22 PM »
Have you wrapped the ribs you do in your gasser? I tried foiling once and decided I prefer them not foiled. I suggest trying both methods to see which produces the results you like best.
kettles, smokers...

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »

I'M SURPRIZED !!!!!

I say "surprised" because I usually think of another question to ask right after I log off.  Instead of doing all my questions at one time, I ask them when I think of them.  It annoys some people, and intrigues others.  I apologize if I'm annoying anyone.  I am who I am, and I don't apologize for that.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.  I think that your suggestion is a good middle ground from which to start.  If the ribs come out too mushy, then it gets added to the experience vault for the next go-round.

Well, they came out so tender that when I was trying to cut the ribs to separate them, the meat fell away from the bone...BUT they were damn good tasting.  I think that next time around it'll be 2-1-1, or maybe 2-1/2-1/2.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »

Thank you.  Someone else suggested doing 2-1.5-1.  I'm going to start there as a good middle-ground starting point, and using your suggestion as one parameter.

Everything that everyone is suggesting/recommending gives me an idea of what/where/when/how, and that certainly beats the hell out of starting out blindly.

I did the ribs following 2-1.5-1, and the meat was coming off the bone as I was cutting them to separate the ribs.  But, the flavor was excellent; so, next time I'll cut down on the time a bit.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »
the longer that you leave the ribs in the foil the more tender they will be to the point to where the bones literally fall out, that it too much for me. 

Personally I think 1 to 1.5 hours is about all that baby backs need.  I know that you are hooked already but once you nail ribs, you will never look back.

When you're right, you're right.  The meat was falling off the bone.  Tasty, but I like a little pull when I'm biting into the rib.  It was like I was eating pulled pork.  My wife told me to leave the recipe alone and not to mess with it.  When it comes to stuff like this, I'm a thinker and a tinkerer.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:48 AM »
Have you wrapped the ribs you do in your gasser? I tried foiling once and decided I prefer them not foiled. I suggest trying both methods to see which produces the results you like best.

On the gasser the ribs were falling apart as I was trying to lift them out of the foil wrap.  They were juicy and tasty; but, there was no pull when I bit into the rib.  The next time around I'm going to try wrapping 'em, but for a shorter period of time, maybe just one hour or maybe just a half hour.

I'm just waiting for some decent weather so that I can do all this on my kettle.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »
Ask away eapples, that's what we're here for.

I'm feeling good about my kettle.  Most of my successes have been on my gas grill (Weber Genesis 1000).  I'm anxious to see how I do with charcoal.  The digital thermometer from Redi-Chek, which got trashed on Amazon.com, is working out really well.  It alerted me to the fact that I ran out of gas during the cook (falling grill temp); and with indirect the thermometer in the grill lid is nowhere near the temp at the cooking grate.  When I did the ribs yesterday, the digital read 280-286 (the lowest temp I could get with just one burner) while the thermometer in the grill lid read 220.  I know that maintaining temp on the kettle will be more challenging; but I'm ready.