Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: thoughts on other forum softwares?  (Read 8422 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: thoughts on other forum softwares?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
Hi Troy. I don't really "have a dog in this fight" and do understand why you or anyone else would be interested in vBulletin. My perception is that it's a complete thing out of the box, which is attractive to admins. Point taken.

I don't know what software is currently used, nor do I know why you want to change it but have always liked it for its clean look and simple layout. From what I've seen, those aren't necessary attributes of vBulletin forums, as they tend to be feature-rich to the point of clutter. (Related: I was the guy last year advocating strongly for FEWER sub forums when that topic was raised, and still think some pruning would be healthy and relevant.)

I mentioned this last year but it's worth mentioning again: As a user, I like Phorum (http://www.phorum.org), at least how it's been implemented here: http://forums.macresource.com/list/1 You may not be able to appreciate its simple elegance without signing up, but whatever. I have one feature I'll mention in another of your threads.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
Hi Troy. I don't really "have a dog in this fight" and do understand why you or anyone else would be interested in vBulletin. My perception is that it's a complete thing out of the box, which is attractive to admins. Point taken.

I don't know what software is currently used, nor do I know why you want to change it but have always liked it for its clean look and simple layout. From what I've seen, those aren't necessary attributes of vBulletin forums, as they tend to be feature-rich to the point of clutter. (Related: I was the guy last year advocating strongly for FEWER sub forums when that topic was raised, and still think some pruning would be healthy and relevant.)

I mentioned this last year but it's worth mentioning again: As a user, I like Phorum (http://www.phorum.org), at least how it's been implemented here: http://forums.macresource.com/list/1 You may not be able to appreciate its simple elegance without signing up, but whatever. I have one feature I'll mention in another of your threads.

thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated!!
I'm a 'less is more' kinda guy as well. When I implement vbulletin, I'll make sure its not all cluttered with extras :)

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 05:52:26 AM »
I do like this skin.....it's unique and the "face" of WKC for me.

After the separation anxiety subsides I'll warm up to vB....it's a smooth interface.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
I'm really looking forward to the change. Is there a planned timeframe for the transition?

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
Is there any update on the transfer to vBulletin?   
I for one would like to see Subscribed Threads implemented.  This allows a user to keep track of threads for not only new posts but also reference.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:26 AM »
winter migration didn't happen.
I don't know if summer is a good time to try it or not.

i've also been looking at xenforo

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
winter migration didn't happen.
I don't know if summer is a good time to try it or not.

i've also been looking at xenforo

As I imagine summer is a busy time for this forum, I'd think its a bad time to experiment with change (on the front end anyway)
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
For now I'm going to stick with SMF.

Many of the VBulletin developers have moved on to the xenforo project and I'd like to see how xenforo grows.

Plus WKC is finally getting rid of some of the causes for drama - once things are smooth again we can look into upgrading.