Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The NIB 1992 SS Performer: the unbox...  (Read 8273 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: The NIB 1992 SS Performer: the unbox...
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
Getting recertified would probably be more expense than it's worth.  What about just getting it filled?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
Getting recertified would probably be more expense than it's worth.  What about just getting it filled?

No one around me will do it.  :(
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
^So the main problem is the date on your tank and not the "star" valve on top? 
My tank has the triangular valve so I'm good there. 

I'm going to try and get mine refilled.  It's dated '97 but my bro in law says he knows a few spots that he feels will do it.
If not, a new tank may be the only want to go.
I don't know for certain but my guess is that a recert on a tank is not going to be cost effective.
WTB 18 fruit

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
^So the main problem is the date on your tank and not the "star" valve on top? 
My tank has the triangular valve so I'm good there. 

I'm going to try and get mine refilled.  It's dated '97 but my bro in law says he knows a few spots that he feels will do it.
If not, a new tank may be the only want to go.
I don't know for certain but my guess is that a recert on a tank is not going to be cost effective.

Here's what I've learned so far. Although the OPD is a fire regulation, states still have their own regulations regarding propane refill. A state like NY doesn't mess around and will always err on the side of extreme caution, just look at our recent automatic weapon ban, but I digress. Essentially there are 3 rules around getting a tank refilled. This is from Amerigas' website.

1) An Overfill Prevention Device (OPD) is required on all vertical cylinders between 4 lbs. and 40 lbs., if the state where you are filling the cylinder has passed a law requiring an OPD. An OPD is currently required in most states. An OPD is a specially designed float device that prevents accidental overfilling, which can cause undesirable gas venting. An OPD valve also stops the flow of gas when a cylinder is not connected. For more information, please visit the National Fire Protection Association Regulations homepage at http://www.nfpa.org.

2) Cylinders must bear a manufacture date within 12 years of the date present, or bear a new date followed by the letter "E." This date means that the cylinder is qualified for an additional five years.

3) Cylinders must be equipped with collar and foot ring that are in good condition.

So basically the oldest any tank can be is 17 years old. I will be making mine a lamp...

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
I think your idea of refilling it from a 20lb tank could work, if you can piece together the proper connector. Ice fishermen do it with one lbers, as you alluded to earlier.

As for recertification on triangular handled tanks, I don't believe there is a limit on the number of times it can be recertified, so there isn't a 17 yr limit, at least not yet.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:25:14 PM by OGlenn »
Uncommon sense seeker

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
FWIW, I got the tank on my SS Performer recertified when I took it to get it filled. It already had the OPD valve but the dealer insisted on replacing it anyway. The recert itself was not that expensive but they charged me $17 for propane! The total bill was $44. Still less than the new tank from Ace. You can also find these tanks on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10054-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000243QA0

Another option would be to use the disposable cylinders. Start with an adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Disposable-Bottle-Adapter/dp/B0002YSY20 and if you have the quick connector on the regulator, you either need to upgrade the regulator or use an adapter like this. http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Connect-F276334/dp/B000AMAVAM/ (Or maybe a propane dealer can change the quick connect nipple on the regulator to a standard connector.)

Or forget about the built in propane burner and get a H-F weed burner/flame thrower. http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html It will get your coals going!
kettles, smokers...

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 03:32:37 AM »

Or forget about the built in propane burner and get a H-F weed burner/flame thrower. http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html It will get your coals going!

I'm liking the flame thrower. I just might get one because who doesn't want the ability to throw flames?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »
I'm liking the flame thrower. I just might get one because who doesn't want the ability to throw flames?

;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

cgaengineer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
You should be able to fill the tank yourself with another 20, though it wont fill completely.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2