Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another vintage Wooddale located (photo heavy)  (Read 5561 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Another vintage Wooddale located (photo heavy)
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
So while on vacation a couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to come across a VERY old Weber grill for sale, a Wooddale.  I'm guessing the age is late 50's to early 60's.
So I found it up in NW Wisconsin...yes, the same place about a half hour north of where Brian's "Grandpa" came from...and yes, that was a Wooddale too.  For you newer members, "Grandpa" was a 26" gray kettle from about 1962...cosmetically not the prettiest, but I couldn't leave it there...ANYWAYS...back to the CURRENT Wooddale find.

So I was garage sale in' with the wife and we drove down this street that had a sign that said "Big Sale".  It led to an old warehouse I'm familiar with that is now for household items and such that are sold...some items of which are sold under consignment for some people.  We pulled up in front of the place and my wife said, "look, there's a Weber sitting by the entrance."   I looked and noticed the metal handle on top, a 22"...and yes, it was black  :(     ANYWAYS...we get out and walk to take a look.  No price tag, darn it, wondering if it was for sale or not since it was outside the front door by itself.  It was dirty, but very nice condition.  Not a chip on the top handle or either side handle on the bowl.   The steel wheels were close to new and clean, rubber treads perfect.  Triangle with only spots of surface rust here and there.  Original shiny legs with original cap on the front leg too.  Looked at the ash pan, it had all the leg clips in place.  And yes, thumbscrews.  Turned it over, not one chip or any rust anywhere around the leg sockets.  This grill looked like it hadn't spent anytime stored outside.  It had the original grates inside.  One thing that was unusual too was on the lid, there was a crude stamp (like old kettles that had "DEMO" on the lid, but it was put on sort of like the logos are on today's kettles.  It was faded and worn, but it says "porcelain enameled".   Lastly...remember the light blue 18 on Ebay that went for over 800?  The ash pan (round tray) was painted blue underneath.   Well the ash pan on this Wooddale is painted white, underneath as well as where the ashes fall.  THe paint is flaking all around, but it was painted.

At this point, I'm not sure what the future of this grill will be, a trade grill, an Ebay item, or a future members grill, but I really would prefer a Wooddale grill of "color".   Don't get me wrong, I love the Wooddales...but I want a colored one.   I'd love to use this one as a trade (unlikely), or let the auction determine its value for future Weber projects or grills.   I don't know what its value would be and wouldn't want to guess since its really objective. A black Wooddale in this sort of condition has never been on Ebay that I know of.  I'm sure it won't generate the interest that the blue ones did.   I was hoping to get the opinion of all of you if you think I'm wrong in letting this grill go out of the WKC...but it could very well stay in here too.  I do think this grill should be documented though for everyone on the site to be able to see.  I think its unusual with the stamp on the lid along with being a Wooddale. 

Below are 2 photos of how I found the grill sitting and what it looked like.  Not too bad!

Dirty lid

Here are some close up of the label on the lid.  It says "porcelained enameled"

Cleanup process

Before washing the ashes off the ash pan

Underneath the pan.  White paint from the factory

Wheels, triangle and legs...pretty good when I got them

Inside of lid

Cleaned inside of bowl

Bowl handles

Cleaned outside bowl

Lid vent

And one for Marty

Lid label

Underneath of ash pan

And once I rinsed the old ashes off the ash pan.  This is really bad.  The worst part of the grill by far.  Not sure if I should strip it down to metal and respray it white, or leave it?  Opinions??  Its really rough.

Cleaned inside of lid

And assembled

Thanks for looking.  Just looking for opinions on the ash pan of this grill.  It has several small chips around the lip of the lid that aren't very noticeable, there is one small one by the label on the lid.  All three handles have zero rust around them.  All three legs sockets are flawless.   All the vents are in nice shape, missing no tabs, both wheels are original, just cleaned up a bit, both treads are perfect.  Has the original thumbscrews, as well as all 3 leg clips on the ash pan.  Triangle cleaned up with 99% free of rust.  Legs are original too.  Around the bottom vents, there are some blotches in the paint where its slightly lighter in color.  Not sure what that is from.  That's it!  Hope you like!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:32:07 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Another Wooddale located (photo heavy)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
WOW.

What's the mark on the lid say?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »
This one's a FREAK! Great restore Jeff, thanks for showing it off. Bring it on the 12th if you can - I'm sure Warren would get a kick out of it. (As would everyone else!)

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Wow! Looks in great shape. I hear what you are saying about a coloured one, but that it pretty damn sweet!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

What's the mark on the lid say?

Porcelain Enamel

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Damn that's in great shape Jeff! Nice find and cleanup.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Phenomenal find Jeff....that must have spent a lot of time under cover.  Some parts look brand new.  Id leave the ash pan alone for now. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
That restore turned out awesome! Love the MTH Wood Dale's. As for the ash pan, I'm torn. I kind of like it's weathered look, but wonder how it would look stripped down to bare metal but I fear that could damage it. That ash pan style doesn't come up often and the weathering gives it character.

Nice find and nice work!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:31:27 PM by Craig »

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Another Wooddale located (photo heavy)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »

Bring it on the 12th if you can - I'm sure Warren would get a kick out of it. (As would everyone else!)

Awesome!  Yes I would love to see it in person!

On the ash pan I say try to inhibit the rust as much as possible but leave it as is. My opinion on this one is the more you try to restore it the more character you take away from this one. Don't paint it....

If it ever needs a different home, I can help. :)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
Very nice find Jeff, I am sure someone will be all over that.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
I hear grandpa calling out for his wife
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Another Wooddale located (photo heavy)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
Jeff that's a great looking grill! Damn I would love to find one like that!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
I'm on the hunt for MTH's...  ;)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
That restore turned out awesome! Love the MTH Wood Dale's. As for the ash pan, I'm torn. I kind of like it's weathered look, but wonder how it would look stripped down to bare metal but I fear that could damage it. That ash pan style doesn't come up often and the weathering gives it character.

Nice find and nice work!

My thoughts exactly. That's a really nice Woody Jeff. Now, after you show it at the meet, kindly box it up and send it over. :)

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
That is a freaking awesome grill Jeff!!!!!! It really cleaned up nice. I like the "untouched" look of the ash pan, but i think it would make the whole grill sweeeter if it was cleaned up, just saying. Very impressive.

Brent

Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!