Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow painted green restore-Part 4 Final  (Read 6554 times)

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Yellow painted green restore-Part 4 Final
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
Well I was able to clean up the lid, all I'm waiting on is a new handle, so I figured I would fire it up since I was making some sausage and peppers. I read the many of people's comments regarding the JB Weld. My biggest concern being it's ability to withstand heat. The fumes not so much, I've probably eaten worse than a little JB weld along the way and my palate is not that refined that I could even notice it's taste in my food. I really wanted to get it fired up to see if I could control the temperature.

Here's the finished lid sans handle

I live directly on the water, so wind is a huge issue, especially around dinner time on a hot day. The wind rushes off the water and right up my lawn.

I ran my OTG and the new yellow side by side. Especially taking note of the temp changes.

After about 15 minutes, all vents wide open on bottom, top vent wide open, she settled in at about 325

Then I shut the front vents facing the wind and closed the top vent halfway, and about 10 minutes later temp dropped a little over 25 degrees

The meal. Sorry no finish pics, me and my neighbor hammered them down..

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow when I flip it over and check things out. So far no problem toasting a couple of rolls.

It was a really cool restore to do, plus it being my first yellow made it even better. Hopefully it sparked some ideas in some and inspired others to do the same. I think going forward, if more folks R-R-R, then there will be more of these extreme cases of kettles needing serious repair. The more we share our experiences doing this type of work, the brighter the future of the WKC will be. I have learned so much in the short time I've been here and thank all of you for the input. It was greatly appreciated. And big thanks to bbqmiller and his hawk eye.

This is where it started

Below are the links for the first 3 parts of the restore:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-painted-green-restore-part-1/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-painted-green-restore-part-2/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-painted-green-restore-part-3/
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow painted green restore-Part 4 Final
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
Awesome job tatooedant.  That was A LOT of work and you hammered it right out.  Thanks for being so detailed along the way.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
great work sir. one other thing i'm curious about is how well that ashpan patch will hold up to the heat.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
great work sir. one other thing i'm curious about is how well that ashpan patch will hold up to the heat.

we'll see tomorrow. I'll check it out in the am.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:53 PM »
hoping for the best. if it holds up over time, that patch may save a lot of older grills.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
Nice job - glad you were able to get this one back into shape.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
Great job on the restore. Glad it worked out so well for you.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
Love ya work 8)
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 06:58:32 PM »
Awesome restore and a true inspiration. You went right to work on that and gave it a second life in such a short time! I want to find a yellow someday!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
Very great restore. You didn't waste any time to make it a cooker. Did you get so see the sunset orange at night color on the bowl?

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Very great restore. You didn't waste any time to make it a cooker. Did you get so see the sunset orange at night color on the bowl?

Yes! I was wondering, does it get more of a sunset tone the hotter it gets? Cuz that is cool as hell.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »
I have had mine really hot for pizza and even the lid starts to turn. The entire bowl was orange and a lot of the lid.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »
This was an amazing undertaking and I really liked your creative solution.  You'll enjoy that grill all the more because you brought it back from the brink. Kudos!
Uncommon sense seeker

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
Nice job - I may have to come and check it out in person sometime (I am in northern NJ). I am glad someone here grabbed it. I still remember blowing up the grainy pics on CL and figured there was something up with this one.
Mike

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
Yes, definitely. We need to get a northeast, WKC meetup going...The yellow is still going strong. Use it weekly.