Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sweet Seduction St. Louis spareribs  (Read 4778 times)

ViciousGame

• Happy Cooker
Sweet Seduction St. Louis spareribs
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
Here's some pr0n I have from this past weekend for the opening Sunday of NFL football.  I originally documented it to be submitted in a couple of throw downs on 2 other sites (but I missed the deadline on one...oh well).  I hope you guys enjoy it and let me know what you think:

First, I trimmed down 3 racks of spareribs to St. Louis cut.

Next, I layered the meat side with my own homemade pork rub and Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction...a winning combination.  I let the ribs sweat for 30 minutes and then I layered the rubs to the back side and let them sweat an additional 30 minutes.

While the meat is sweating, I prep my 22 WSM with a ring of KBB and 4 large chunks of Apple & Hickory... 3:1 Apple to Hickory.  I like the sweet flavor of the seasoned apple wood that lends itself well to pork.  The kiss of hickory adds a nice note from the stronger smoke.  I don't use water in the water pan.  I simply foil it.

I normally use an 18 WSM with rib racks when competing; however, my 22 WSM is newer and I like to get it more seasoned whenever I can.  3 racks of St. Louis spares easily fit flat on a single grate on the 22 WSM.  I cook my ribs at 275º and they usually are done in ~4 hours.

After the ribs are on the smoker, I begin prep on my BBQ beans.  I used Bush's baked beans and added some agave nectar, brown sugar, peach nectar, Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ rub, and my own homemade BBQ sauce.  I temporarily lift the top grate and place the beans underneath to catch most of the rib drippings.

After replacing the top grate, I begin spritzing the ribs every 15 minutes in order to promote a nice smoke ring.  I use a 50/50 combination of apple juice & white grape juice.  I do this until the ribs achieve the nice color that I'm looking for.

Once the ribs have that nice mahogany color that I want, I wrap them in HD foil with brown sugar, margarine, Tiger Sauce, apple juice, Sweet Seduction & agave nectar.  I wrap them very tight so that they braise rather than steam in the foil.  They go back on the smoker until they are are probe tender (a probe goes through the meat like a hot knife through butter).

Once probe tender, I pull them from the smoker and out of the foil.  I sauce the ribs with my BBQ sauce and return them to the smoker for ~5 minutes to set the sauce.  I pulled them off and then did the ever important bite test.  No fall-of-the-bone overcooked ribs here!  They had perfect bite (as you can see in the photo) and they tasted fantastic.

The beans came off the smoker and were fantastic as well.  They had a great al dente texture and the flavor was a perfect compliment to the ribs.  Dinner is served.

These are some of the best tasting and best looking ribs I've cooked this year.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you guys thinks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Sweet Seduction St. Louis spareribs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »
Beautiful post! The entire process and final product look amazing
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »
Fine looking ribs, excellent photos too.  Appreciate the post.

BBQ Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
The ribs look fantastic but those beans look delicious!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
the ribs look incredible.
i LOVE sweet seduction.

How the F do you wrap the ribs tightly without bones poking through the foil?

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Fantastic looking ribs!! Damn I want some of those right about now!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

ViciousGame

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
the ribs look incredible.
i LOVE sweet seduction.

How the F do you wrap the ribs tightly without bones poking through the foil?

very carefully...LOL

half the time I end up double wrapping them.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
Vg, those look super.  Your rib treatment is very similar to what I used to do with them, with some good success.....

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
Great looking ribs! 

I love the simply marvelous line.  My favorite for ribs is a base layer of their Cherry rub and then a layer of sweet seduction.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:57 AM »
Damn those look like some tasty ribs!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Great looking ribs...and photos! 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
holy cow(or pig as it were)! looks freaking awesome!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

ViciousGame

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
BTW if any of you are active members of the other weber smokey mountain site (you know which one), take a minute and check out the entries in the throwdown and vote.  There are a lot of good entries (and good people) to choose form. :)

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »
Wow dude....WOW!!!! Those ribs look amazing. Nice job on the meat and all the photos. Excellent post, 2 thumbs up!
Brent

Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

cgaengineer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
Beatifully done!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2