Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer bowl and lid replacement question  (Read 8038 times)

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
Performer bowl and lid replacement question
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »
I didn't think I would be here for advice so soon.  I just bought a two tone red EE stainless steel performer.  The problem is the bowl is totaly rusted out in the bottom and the lid is pretty beat up. Everything else is fine. I am going to replace the bowl and lid with new ones.  Weber CS told me that for that model, only black, dark blue and green colors are available.  I then ask about a bowl and lid color for my newer 2010 performer and she told me brick red was available for it.

My question is does anyone know for sure if the bowls on newer performers and the older SS performers will interchange and fit exactly?  Everything I know about them says they will but the Weber CS rep says they will not and was pretty adamant. That is probably some liability thing.  I believe I would prefer the brick red to the other colors if possible.  Any info will be appreciated.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Performer bowl and lid replacement question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:43 AM »
It will work just fine. Use your newer serial# and order the brick red. Many have done Upgrades to S/S carts.
You will need a new style lid therm, ash bucket assembly and probably an H clip ash sweep.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
Take off the red bowl and check the condition of the ash sweeper and the support bar for the ash ring.  If they're in good condition, you can re-use them on the new Brick Red bowl.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
Yeah, everything on the bottom will need to be replaced.  The ash sweep is totally rusted away and there is a 3 to 4 inch hole rusted through the bottom of the kettle bowl.  The ash catcher itself is the only thing reusable but I'll probably just order everything new.

I thought those bowls would interchange, but the lady at Weber was pretty adamant that they would not.  She had me doubting myself.  Anyway I asked you guys and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Thanks for the replies!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:25:39 PM by 2mnygrills »

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
Just make sure you get a bowl setup for gas assist, assuming that is what you want.
Uncommon sense seeker

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »
Yeah, everything on the bottom will need to be replaced.  The ash sweep is totally rusted away and there is a 3 to 4 inch hole rusted through the bottom of the kettle bowl.  The ash catcher bowl itself is the only thing reusable but I'll probably just order everything new.

I thought those bowls would interchange, but the lady at Weber was pretty adamant that they would not.  She had me doubting myself and it's probably just a liability thing.  Anyway I asked you guys and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Thanks for the replys

I know the feeling... It took me 20 mins to get one of the gals to agree to send me an ash catcher for my K redhead. At some point they will realize that you're one of the crazies and they will be more flexible. I have noticed that ever since I allowed one of them to record an inventory of my modest collection they have been a lot more willing to sell me replacement parts. Warranty replacement is a different matter.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »
If you don't want the ash ring and catcher, I'll give you $5 for them. I looked at that grill Tue night but decided not to get it. I live in Denver
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:30:16 PM by blackdog043 »
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:05:25 PM »
If/when you replace the bowl, salvage the kettle brackets that hold the bowl to the table, if you can. If you can't use them, I know there are several WKCers who would be happy to take them off your hands. 
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
I don't want to confuse people here but technically the old bowls does NOT interchange with the new one as each one of them use a different ash catcher and sweep. The legacy and new parts both mount differently to the bowl- although the lid bale, gas assist features all line up. The old style bowl does not have the leg slots to snap on the new style OTG ash catcher. The new ash sweeper assembly also uses a washer that is .040" thinner than the old ash catcher bar and swapping that old style ash catcher bar in will cause significant binding.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »
I understand what you're saying Gummi, but....  All old equipment works on newer bowls and that's what the OP is asking.
Had the OP wanted to keep the old bowl and mount modern equipment --- your points would be emphasized. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
Gummi wouldn't my new bracket and the 7409 ash sweep set with either way? 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Gummi wouldn't my new bracket and the 7409 ash sweep set with either way? 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Yes it would, Z.  :D The bracket is very nice. I finally got it on a few weeks ago.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Weber CS told me that for that model, only black, dark blue and green colors are available.

That's interesting news, because when I called Weber about my SS (one year older) they said the only color available was Black.

I wonder why they gave two different answers?  Does Weber only replace certain date code parts with New Old Stock parts with the same date codes? 
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
I think that is what they try to do!  I ask what colors were available for a 2010 performer and was told Brick Red along with some others.  That is what I ordered.  Usually the service reps at Weber are upbeat and a lot more helpful than today.  I gave up the first time after being told a newer bowl wouldn't fit, although she would not tell me why it wouldn't work.  I called back after getting a little more info from this site as to what would work, and placed my order.

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
blackdog043,

I called about the grill and went in knowing the bowl was bad.  They agreed to take less even before I went to see it and with the tank and the stainless in good condition, I figured it was an ok deal. Probably you walking away helped me.  As far as the old parts, I'm not sure yet what I'll do with them, you can never tell when they might be needed, but I would be willing to help someone out.  I do have another EZ grill just like it I could use the ash ring on though. 

And BTW I live in Denver too.