Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Newbie Questions!!  (Read 6250 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »
I've had 64 pounds of butts on mine at once.  ;D

I got the WSM early November last year, but wasn't confident enough for Thanksgiving turkey.  This year though --- game on! 
I've done a number of chickens as 'practice' and brining is THE way to go.  Very good stuff.
Also, toss a pan of baked beans under the butt for the last couple of hours.  Buckie is royalty at Drip Beans
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
Drip beans....genius!

Sparky,

Now there is something to think about - I do *need* a roti.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
I agree with what everyone has said. Just take it slow, give yourself time to learn it and enjoy. It's all about fun, don't over think your cook. Just give yourself plenty if time and have a few beers.

Beautiful WSM and a heck of a deal. Congrats.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:52:58 PM by Peaspurple »
A Wonderful Family!!!

sparky

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »
Drip beans....genius!

Sparky,

Now there is something to think about - I do *need* a roti.

Yep :))

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Boston butt went on at 0700 this morning for the WSM's first cook.  Also using my Maverick ET-732 for the first time.  So far no problems with the temp - it came up quickly and with some tweaking of the dampers it has stayed consistent.  I used the Minion method like some of you had recommended.  I'll try to post pics later.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
I'm going to love this bullet.  Got to watch football all day while the WSM did this:

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
I almost feel guilty when I cook on my WSM. it's almost idiot proof. only thing to worry about is letting the temp go too high. and as efficient as these are, it isn't too hard to bring em back down. bottom line..a few taps on the vents is all it takes for a cook.

personally, i'm thinking of getting a pitmaster iQ. like the "no drill" aspect and piece of mind for overnight cooks. haven't decided if I want to do the 110 and a maverick or the 120 and roll with that.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Just bought an 18.5" WSM last week (getting a hold of it this weekend) and can't wait to use it. This thread has been very useful reading.

I have also been asked by my friend to cook for her 40th (only 15-20 people) so the WSM should be invaluable.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

cgaengineer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
Check this site out, I too used this method for my pork butt today and it turned out awesome!

You will need a few smokes before it works perfect so do something greasy for first few smokes...

Youare gonna love the wsm...and you will want a stoker, im gonna order the Auber unit...

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/weber_smokey_mountain_setup.html

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:48:30 PM by cgaengineer »

cgaengineer

• Smokey Joe
Re: Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »
I almost feel guilty when I cook on my WSM. it's almost idiot proof. only thing to worry about is letting the temp go too high. and as efficient as these are, it isn't too hard to bring em back down. bottom line..a few taps on the vents is all it takes for a cook.

personally, i'm thinking of getting a pitmaster iQ. like the "no drill" aspect and piece of mind for overnight cooks. haven't decided if I want to do the 110 and a maverick or the 120 and roll with that.

Check out this stoker, less features but alot less money too...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=170

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

pyrate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
I use thee auber for overnight smokes love it
But if I am awake prefer tweaking the vents

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2