Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Newbie Questions!!  (Read 6248 times)

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
If it is that good of a deal I pay the asking price and run......just me.   Nice find

...And BTW this is the Weber KETTLE Club, there is another site dedicated to those things take your questions elsewhere pal.... :D

Don't mind the Kamado lover, WSM's are still part of the family.  :D

Hey thanks, I needed that, was getting a tear in my eye.. :'(
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Score! That's awesome.  ;D

Most of my suggestions have already been covered. All I'll add is ... one Butt? How 'bout some ribs too? Or a brisket? I started blogging my smokes first as a way of keeping records so I could learn from prior experience and second, to share what works for me. You can check it out at http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/

Did anyone mention that the WSM tends to run hot the first few cooks? It takes a while to build up the layer of smoke and grease that helps to seal the sections. You might find you can maintain 250 with the bottom vents fully closed.

Thanks Hank, I'll check it out!! :)
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace

Up In Smoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
Nice find. I would love to have a WSM.
Everything's better with charcoal !!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »

WTF is WSM?

"And excuse my ignorance but what is "ABT'S"?"

here's some things on ABT's & there's some stuff in the "Appetizer" section 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-what-to-do-for-a-few-part-2-4/msg7899/#msg7899

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/msg32093/?topicseen#msg32093

Just throw " 'Turds " in the search box up above & see what comes up.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Stubbs + WSM + Boston Butt + 225 + 12-19Hrs = Happy Family
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
Randy, you've gotten great advice already, so I'm just gonna add a bit to that.

It might be fun to start with a chicken or something, just to get the thing working and see how it works.  But don't expect the skin to be very good-- I find that smoking a temp at WSM temps makes some great meat, but really rubbery skin.  Just the same, it's a good place to start. 

Ribs are a nice trial run, too, since they 'only' take 5 or so hours. 

+1 on getting it gunked up before it'll cook quite right.  I bought mine used, and it was plenty 'seasoned'.  But it still took maybe 6 cooks before it started to run nice and steady for me.  So be patient.  I've heard of people smoking bacon and/or other cuts of cheap meat, just to season the smoker. 

When you do take a try at pork shoulder-- and you really should as soon as you have the time-- I think you should start with the ending.  Which is to say, you'll be pulling your meat off at 190 or higher, and you should wrap it tightly in foil, wrap that in a towel, and pack the meat into a small cooler to stay warm and rest for at least an hour.  The good news is that you can go ahead and leave it in there for at least 4 hours before it gets anywhere close to 140 (a very safe range for pork).  So start with the ending, and give yourself plenty of time (this is good advice in general when it comes to WSM cooking and butts in particular).  If you're wanting to eat at 5, guestimate your finish time toward 12 or 1, so you have some time to play with.  Then you won't be trying to race to the end, or all worried about things.  In the case of butts, I start them the night before, since they usually take me between 14 and 19 hours. 

And like others have said, GO SLOW.  Fill the coal ring up with cold charcoal, but only use about 10 coals to get it started.  When it's rising up to within 25 degrees of your target, choke the vents down to slow it down even more (it's easy to bring it up to temp, but it's really hard to bring it back down).  If you do make adjustments to the vents or coals or whatever, don't expect to see the results of those changes for about an hour (remember, the WSM is built for SLOW).  Once it gets settled in where you like it, I think you'll find that it holds really steady at that temp for hours and hours and hours.  Last time I did an overnight smoke (2 butts), I didn't even get out of bed once.

Your smoker is gorgeous-- congrats on your patience and reward.  The handle is in incredible condition!  And that's an amazing price (I paid 85 for mine, and am still stoked about that deal).  I'm really happy for you.
One of the charcoal people.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
If it is that good of a deal I pay the asking price and run......just me.   Nice find

...And BTW this is the Weber KETTLE Club, there is another site dedicated to those things take your questions elsewhere pal.... :D

Great score. A WSM of any flavor is on my list. Disregard comments from the peanut gallery.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:02 AM »

WTF is WSM?

"And excuse my ignorance but what is "ABT'S"?"

here's some things on ABT's & there's some stuff in the "Appetizer" section 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-what-to-do-for-a-few-part-2-4/msg7899/#msg7899

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/msg32093/?topicseen#msg32093

Just throw " 'Turds " in the search box up above & see what comes up.....

Thanks, I've actually made those before, must have just had a brain fart last night, I think the excitment just got to me, think I'm going to make some this weekend, my son inhales them!! :o

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
Randy,

How did the cook go?

Can't wait to fire my WSM up.  Any opinions out there about what would be a good virgin cook? Boston butt? Remember I'm a noob and don't want the initial cook to be a disaster.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Randy,

How did the cook go?

Can't wait to fire my WSM up.  Any opinions out there about what would be a good virgin cook? Boston butt? Remember I'm a noob and don't want the initial cook to be a disaster.
butts are pretty easy but the long cook is challenging if you are busy.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
edhead,

Will likely want to put something in early in the morning and let it cook all day while I watch football.   :D

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
An empty smoker or a full one takes about the same amount of fuel.  I agree with a pork butt for numerous reasons.  It's forgiving.  It's a long smoke which 'seasons' the WSM nicely.  It shows you it's fire control abilities.  It's a delicious hunk of meat you can't help but snitch the entire time you're pulling it.  :)

With all of that said, I recommend adding more than just a pork butt to the cook.  Then again, we love leftovers.  Meatloaf, chicken, or ribs take less time and make for great kick-off vittles.  Then the butt for prime time football. 

I really like my kettles, but I love the WSM
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: WSM Newbie Questions!!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »
An empty smoker or a full one takes about the same amount of fuel.  I agree with a pork butt for numerous reasons.  It's forgiving.  It's a long smoke which 'seasons' the WSM nicely.  It shows you it's fire control abilities.  It's a delicious hunk of meat you can't help but snitch the entire time you're pulling it.  :)

With all of that said, I recommend adding more than just a pork butt to the cook.  Then again, we love leftovers.  Meatloaf, chicken, or ribs take less time and make for great kick-off vittles.  Then the butt for prime time football. 

I really like my kettles, but I love the WSM

WSM for smokin' Kettle for grillin'

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
Thanks Chad.  Maybe I'll do a Boston butt and chicken.  This thing is so big I could probably do two or three of each.

Have you done a Turkey on it? I'm going to try it for Thanksgiving.

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I have done Turkey's on my WSM , i like them better on the kettle or better yet kettle rotisserie , done in about 2 hr or less and crispy skin !