Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Time - Jalapenos to Chipotles (Updated - Done)  (Read 10536 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: 1st Time - Jalapenos to Chipotles (Updated - Done)
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
These pics are from last September.  Smoked Scotch Bonnets, Chocolate habs, and maybe some Trinidad Scorpions.
I didn't grow any this year.  Started out ... then got nothing.  Anyway, crappy weather this summer - not very hot.

My intention was to grind into dust after smoking.
So, I butterflied the peppers just to give it more grill retention .. not falling thru. Some shrinkage ..
This was my first time doing this.  They turned out nice and crispy, so grinding was no problem.
I thought I would have to finish them in the dehydrator, but didn't have to.

These were done on my mini UDS, so those are SJ grates. Three levels.
I think the temperature ranged in the 180-220° range.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
Keith, thanks for the extra encouragement and expertise.  GREAT (grate!) tip on flipping a JJ grate for extra capacity. 

One (dumb) question I have is about halving the peppers...  I've usually tried to leave them whole, but noticed that Keith and Terry slice them in half.  Is that to expedite the drying process, or to enhance smoke retention, or both?  I was thinking about stringing up my peppers and hanging them from my fancy new hanging rack in the 18.5 WSM, but will I have a hard time getting them dry enough that way?

String 'em up & hang 'em high, Mike......Chile Ristras

http://www.nps.gov/petr/historyculture/chile.htm
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
Slicing them in half creates more surface area...dries faster and collects smoke. So I've been told...
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Slicing them in half creates more surface area...dries faster and collects smoke. So I've been told...

+1.....I dry my cayennes every year by just hanging them out to air dry, but they are a thin pepper without much flesh. For the jalapeņos, I was afraid they wouldn't dry out enough in the time I had to get it done. Even split in half, the jalapeņos were still gummy after almost 24 hours in the smoker. I had to finish them off in the dehydrater.  I may try some whole peppers this year.....I still have plenty left over from last year if they don't turn out like I want
-Keith

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »

That is actually best......the air dry works in dry climates & if you're running on Mexico / Central American time.....which is no particular rush........ 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
I am using a small snake method in the WSM to keep the temps under 200. It is working well so far, but it's gonna be a long night...

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.