Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18.5 Pizza  (Read 1549 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
18.5 Pizza
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:16:05 AM »
Lately, I've been doing pizzas on the 22's by elevating an 18.5 grate and using a pizza stone. This time I wanted to experiment with the 18.5. I figure the more compact size would concentrate the heat more so. I used the same amount of charcoal, 3/4 chimney and filled a fuel basket at the back and piled the remaining coals into piles on each side making a horseshoe pattern. I laid the paver bricks that I use flat and set a spare 18 grate upside down. These were thin crust pizzas, so I didn't think they'd take to long and they didn't. 8-9 minutes is all you need, the first pie went about 12 minutes when I pulled it off, one side (the side above the fuel basket) was more done than the other, so on the second pie, I rotated the top grate at 4.5 minutes and it cooked more evenly. They both came out pretty good. Yes, they are frozen pizzas, I have done homemade, I will again soon, right now I'm just having fun with technique.

First pie done, should have spun the grate, but oh well...

2nd pie about to come off. I rotated it at about 4 minutes

Thanks for stopping by.  :)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: 18.5 Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
I too use a technique close to this. I use an elevated 18.5 grate. I elevate it with four mini aluminum loaf pans, leave it right side up as my stone has a wire grate like support it sits on. Fits right over the handles on the grate and sits flat. My big difference is I use to charcoal baskets filled just under half way full right in the middle then spread the remainder of the coals around the outside of the charcoal grate, add wood chunks or chips to charcoal baskets set up the elevated grate and stone and let come up to temp. I put pizza on and rotate it twice to three times depending on thickness of crust. I posted my semi homemade pizza from last night it turned out good. Reading about doing it on the 18.5 I might just try that this next time around. BTW GREAT LOOKING PIES THERE!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:21 AM »
Thanks for stopping by.  :)

For a slice and some root beer.

Nice!

Dude, relax your chicken.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
18.5 Pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:16 AM »
Nice Craig! I haven't tried it on the 18 yet. Might have to do that tonight!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Ethang

• Smokey Joe
18.5 Pizza
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Looks good. My only attempt at a frozen pizza and was cooked on an air pan on inverted empty baskets. The bottom got way over done but the flavor was good.
The Weber is making it really hard to screw up dinner

Plastic has no soul

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
Good job! You really got a good char on the tops. I always do a turn or two and it does really make a difference. :)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Thanks Craig. Many ways to skin that cat.  I too am doing frozen pizzas tonight.  Pictures may happen.  I use the upside down grate and pie right on the rack method for frozen pizzas usually.  For fresjh doughs I add parchment paper. I have not yet used a stone or fire brick, but I can definitely see the benefits of both.

Forgot to mention, the one thing I HAVE to do is rotate half way.  without fancy heat deflection, it is a must.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:32:55 PM by G$ »