Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What are these?  (Read 4533 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
What are these?
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
I can't really figure out what these wire-form appendages are, but I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when someone tells me. This grill is on the Bay at the moment by the way. Not a bad price either. Some damage to the bowl in one of the photos, but overall a nice looking rig.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What are these?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
They are charcoal rails, They are the rails that attach to the charcoal grate to do an indirect setup.  You can use these instead of baskets.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
Thanks Brian - makes sense now. I guess the guy is just "storing" them that way. Either that or he does not have a clue - which makes two of us.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I think the guy doesn't have a clue...

Brian

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
This chocolate wonder is only about 3 hours from me near my in-laws. Id love to score a brownie, especially a 70s metal handled one.

Craig

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
I guess you could hang tongs and other tools off of them, but only when the lid was closed.

The other thing those rails are good for is to elevate another charcoal grate.  Attach them to the regular charcoal grate, then set another charcoal grate on top, and you can raise your coals to right underneath the cooking grate.  Which is my current favorite way to sear steaks, or to cook sweet corn in the husks.  The radiant heat the coals deliver to the food is incredible. 
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »
I think the guy doesn't have a clue...

Brian

Sometimes the clueless ones make the best sellers. Easy to deal with.  ;D

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:22:37 AM »
 ;D

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
The charcoal rail "ears" are sitting in my garage. I just got this one today. It is fairly clean for a rough assembly/before pics. I will try to make time this weekend to get it all cleaned up and polish the legs. I may put on some new wheels. Lid vent looks exactly like the 1979 "A" style, but there is no letter/date stamp. So I'm guessing it to be from 1978. The vent pic is in the "vent date code" thread. Some porcelain loss, the front leg must have gotten stubbed when someone was rolling it, the front socket is slightly bent inward. Nothing to get in a twist over. The wood handle is dry and the rivets are loose. In all this excitement, I forgot to take pictures of the inside of the bowl/grates. Inside bowl is fairly clean, but will get a full bath. The grates, jury is still out on those. I'm happy to finally score a 'brownie' and a 70s one at that!  ;)

Craig
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:14:55 PM by husker_red »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:25 AM »
Great score  :D :D :D
I picked up a B model a couple of weeks ago but it's missing the ash catcher
My handles rivets are loose also. Is there any way of tightening then?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »
Wow those last two shots with the sun hitting it might be the prettiest shots I've seen of a Brownie.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
Nice score Craig.  Looks like you need to change that handle.  If you need a good one let me know.  I hate those nice old grills with crummy handles on them. 

Brian