Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow kettle acquired, lessons to be learned  (Read 7372 times)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow kettle acquired, lessons to be learned
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Or delusions...
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
We need photos of what u "snuck" out of Wisconsin. Guess he didn't have enough coin to "power lift" this thing to Georgia. LOL.

I can't believe Casey did that to you guys! WTF!
#grubdubs

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »
We don't know the person that was interested with deep pockets!  Surely can't be Casey, he has no money, just a sharp tongue!  :)
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
Jeff, Congrats on the purchase. I will lie low, but I know your telling the truth. I to spoke to the owner and can verify your findings in your one on one conversation. He did offer me a lower offer, but I am about collecting and cooking. I have a Yellow, this one was a tick out of the back yard, I had a agent in the area prior to all the hoopla, but never received a response, until the price went to $150. He did his research prior to my received call. I would have had a Yellow available to a WKC member, I'm sure at a lower price than your purchase price. Better yet, probably an even up trade, for no out of pocket for either party.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
Jeff, I'm glad you got it. :)   Its too bad that there's been some price gouging and sneaky backdoor operations going on with some of these grills.  >:(  Like that NIB yellow 2 weeks ago back east jumped from $30 to over $400 in less than 30 minutes? What the hell!?

Score 1 WKC!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
glad you got the kettle.

but lets keep in mind we don't know how much of what the seller told you is true.

Well, based on Jeffs post, which part do you think of the sellers story may not be true? Do you think he made up the location of the remote interested pary? Or do you think Jeff did?

Do you think the seller made up what parts of the kettle the remote interested party was looking for details on (such as the vent) or do you think Jeff did?

I am not trying to start a scuffle, but your car example and this one are not parralells. In your car example, you WERE both parties. in this example, Jeff knows he was not!   Indeed, we lack full information on this instance, and the seller may very well have been giving fibs.

But.... On the other hand, we do have soem historical data to go on.  And we would all be foolish to ignore that data as it piles up.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:53 PM »
I trust that Jeff is giving us some straight talk and not trying to point fingers.
I'm glad he got the grill, but would rather see the seller get stuck with it and realized he was being a bit outrageous on the price.
We can all put a fantastic value on something.. but i prefer sentimental value and  a great story than just another hunk of metal in hte shed.
Thanks for sharing Jeff.. We can all learn from this.   8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
glad you got the kettle.

but lets keep in mind we don't know how much of what the seller told you is true.

Well, based on Jeffs post, which part do you think of the sellers story may not be true? Do you think he made up the location of the remote interested pary? Or do you think Jeff did?
I believe the location was accurate. Harris reached out to this guy and asked questions, even tried to get it shipped to Atlanta.
There's no crime in that.

Do you think the seller made up what parts of the kettle the remote interested party was looking for details on (such as the vent) or do you think Jeff did?
I'm sure Harris asked very specific questions. I probably would too if i were preparing to pay the high cost of shipping an unseen kettle to me.
Again. There's no crime in that
I am not trying to start a scuffle, but your car example and this one are not parralells. In your car example, you WERE both parties. in this example, Jeff knows he was not!   Indeed, we lack full information on this instance, and the seller may very well have been giving fibs.

But.... On the other hand, we do have some historical data to go on.  And we would all be foolish to ignore that data as it piles up.
I do not think this historical data pile is as big as you think it is. Most of the events that have been discussed regarding similar scenarios are full of a LOT of speculation and very little fact.

Minimally related - of the 4 fake bait ads that I ran (and told no one - I'm sorry, it was shitty of me to do) - NONE of them were discovered as fake, and none were posted here. However there were WKC members who reached out to me letting me know the value of the grill.
That person will not be named - but it was NOT Harris.

On the topic of interstate purchasing - it's not a crime.
On the topic of asking questions - it's not a crime.

Logically - it doesn't matter HOW the seller realized his item was valuable.
If he had simply done a google search - he would have learned the same thing and you guys wouldn't be screaming "FUCK YOU GOOGLE"

I have spoken with Harris regarding these situations.
He understands that his methods were less than considerate and beneficial the community.
He's working on his ways and he IS interested in helping the community (he has passed more grills on to WKC members, without profit, than he's picked up from craigslist)

He's offended people. He realizes it. He's working on it and committed to being more helpful to the WKC.

He needs to be treated fairly and this bullshit needs to be put to rest.
It's all in the past, and the WKC is ready to move on.

For what it's worth, I once stole a drunk guys boots.
It was a shitty thing to do, I still feel bad about it.
I haven't stolen anything else since.
Drunk people feel confident passing out around me. :)

Please.
Let's stop fanning the flames.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
Your story made me laugh Troy. 

Also, thank you for apologizing for Harris.  That was nice of you.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
Your story made me laugh Troy. 

Also, thank you for apologizing for Harris.  That was nice of you.

That reminded me, I'm pretty sure karma got me back.
probably that same year i passed out drunk and woke up missing my belt.

I was probably 18 or 19 at the time and really into harleys and skateboarding. My pants were WAY too big and i wore a big heavy chain wallet. (seriously, had to weigh 8 pounds)
I had to manually hold my pants up all day until I could get home :(

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:53 PM »
I thought it was called "drinking too much then falling asleep" rather than passing out.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
I thought it was called "drinking too much then falling asleep" rather than passing out.

That's only for Brian when he's drinking daiquiris and at a jimmy buffet concert i think.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 03:38:27 AM »
Stop the harrisment!

Looks like were all gonna have to post 4 fake ads if we want to find out anything!

On a side note, someone stole my belt once while I was drunk sleeping too!
#grubdubs

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 04:09:44 AM »
This original thread was created, as titled to be lessoned learned.  If I might change one thing, it may have been not to put Georgia down, but maybe a southeastern state, or maybe Canada.  I put Georgia down to make my point of why the seller thought it so odd to have some dumb old grill sent there all the way from Duluth. 

I will point out there is nothing wrong with acquiring a grill from somewhere far away from where you live.  I'm sure certain grills are harder to find in some small rural town, and especially if you live in Canada.  Heck, some of my grills were sent to me.  My personal Yellow came from Cali about 5 years ago!  I contacted the seller, offered their asking price, and paid what shipping came to.  I got lucky.  Some people naturally don't want the trouble of boxing something like that up.  Ultimately, its how you go about doing it.   No need to disclose unnecessary details about the grill to show your knowledge.   Example.  It might be a Wooddale.  Just ask, "I can't see from your photo, but does the top vent say anything on it?"  "Any letters? Arlington Heights, Palatine, Wooddale?"  "Oh...Wooddale? Ok, well does your grill have any rust around the leg sockets or top handle...no, it doesn't?  I'm interested in buying your grill then"

Its all about your stealth and technique!  You may not even need to offer more or have an agent work for you!  Only reason an agent is helpful is to hopefully get it packaged good and ready for shipment.  Good luck and happy hunting!  :)
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
This original thread was created, as titled to be lessoned learned.  If I might change one thing, it may have been not to put Georgia down, but maybe a southeastern state, or maybe Canada.  I put Georgia down to make my point of why the seller thought it so odd to have some dumb old grill sent there all the way from Duluth. 

I will point out there is nothing wrong with acquiring a grill from somewhere far away from where you live.  I'm sure certain grills are harder to find in some small rural town, and especially if you live in Canada.  Heck, some of my grills were sent to me.  My personal Yellow came from Cali about 5 years ago!  I contacted the seller, offered their asking price, and paid what shipping came to.  I got lucky.  Some people naturally don't want the trouble of boxing something like that up.  Ultimately, its how you go about doing it.   No need to disclose unnecessary details about the grill to show your knowledge.   Example.  It might be a Wooddale.  Just ask, "I can't see from your photo, but does the top vent say anything on it?"  "Any letters? Arlington Heights, Palatine, Wooddale?"  "Oh...Wooddale? Ok, well does your grill have any rust around the leg sockets or top handle...no, it doesn't?  I'm interested in buying your grill then"

Its all about your stealth and technique!  You may not even need to offer more or have an agent work for you!  Only reason an agent is helpful is to hopefully get it packaged good and ready for shipment.  Good luck and happy hunting!  :)

Well said Jeff. Even at that, I take chances. If it is $25.00 or under, I take the risk and purchase sight unseen. My Wood Dale is a great example, $25 sight unseen. With Google, the more questions asked, will have them doing research. Hence the Yellow. Just IMO. Reach out to a fellow member or post in a trade section that your interested in a particular grill. This communication is happening on Ebay purchases here, you see other members standing down for fellow members. I see know reason, why this can't work on CL posts abroad.