Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So easy a cave man can do it  (Read 5797 times)

Danny C

• WKC Brave
Re: So easy a cave man can do it
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Can you explain the 2-2-1 ring of fire. Thanks

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
I like to smoke hot and fast.  So instead of just doing the 2 coal with 1 coal ring, I do a layer of 2 coals, then another layer of 2 coals on top of that, then a layer of 1 coal.  It allows me to cook at 300+ with my vents wide open
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
Can you explain the 2-2-1 ring of fire. Thanks
I like to smoke hot and fast.  So instead of just doing the 2 coal with 1 coal ring, I do a layer of 2 coals, then another layer of 2 coals on top of that, then a layer of 1 coal.  It allows me to cook at 300+ with my vents wide open

Danny, this link shows a setup for 2+1 + some chips of lump.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

........it will burn at a lower heat than Aawa's as there's less fuel available as the burn moves around the ring.....
Doing 2+2+1 is the perfect way to ramp up the heat another 35~60 degrees, with minimal fiddling with the vents.....just right for the hot & fast area..........

Great RIBS, If I forgot to say so !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
This may be a dumb question....What cut is that called? I have never seen them so meaty. They are beautiful.

They are beef short ribs.  I asked the guy at the meat counter at the grocery store if they had any whole racks of short ribs before they cut them up.  He came back with a cryovac pack which had 2 racks (4 bones each).  He asked if i wanted 1 or 2, I told him to just give me the cryopac and he slapped the price on it.

Thanks, Aawa!! Th XC and I are going to hunt these down!!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
This may be a dumb question....What cut is that called? I have never seen them so meaty. They are beautiful.

They are beef short ribs.  I asked the guy at the meat counter at the grocery store if they had any whole racks of short ribs before they cut them up.  He came back with a cryovac pack which had 2 racks (4 bones each).  He asked if i wanted 1 or 2, I told him to just give me the cryopac and he slapped the price on it.

Thanks, Aawa!! Th XC and I are going to hunt these down!!!

That's what I'll do also.....before they cut them into tiny 4~5" long single pieces, with no fat on the outside......
Sometimes it's called 'short plate' & if you're lucky or have a friendly butcher, they may even drop the per pound, as it is less work.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Thetrick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »
Damn, now I gotta go get some ribs.  Those look delicious.