Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Used MatchLight tonight...  (Read 3327 times)

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Used MatchLight tonight...
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
Went to the in-laws tonight because my wife's brother and his wife were here from Nebraska. Beautiful evening and I mentioned to her as we drove in that "Why don't your folks ever do anything outdoors? It's a shame to spend an evening like this in the house." Well, we got out of the car and I smelled charcoal. Looked over where they keep the 22.5" kettle we gave her dad for his birthday about 2 or 3 years ago and sure enough, there was an open bag of MatchLight leaning against the kettle and there was smoke emitting from the bowl. Now, mind you, my father-in-law is definitely NOT an outdoor cook. He "fries" burgers and steaks on the grill in his verbiage. Anyway walked in and there was a stack of beautiful thick handmade patties on the counter. Somehow I ended up with the spatula and the burgers actually turned out pretty good, MatchLight notwithstanding.

Figured I'd throw it up here as the thread title alone might raise a few eyebrows. Lol!
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »
Lol at least they cooked on the kettle. If that's all you have it works in a pinch!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Used MatchLight tonight...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

I think you're safe.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:21 AM »
Oh gawd. Some people never give up on lighter fluid. I have converted three people this year.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »
It's amazing how many people swear by match light. Usually once they see the chimney in action they convert. Or use match light in the chimney.

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: Used MatchLight tonight...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »
It's amazing how many people swear by match light. Usually once they see the chimney in action they convert. Or use match light in the chimney.
So silly when it's not needed. One of my failures was the guy upstairs who used the chimney with matchlight. He sees me do it without yet he won't buy regular.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:09 AM »
Matchlight in a chimney is a good substitute for fireworks on the 4th of July! BIG FLAMES!! To me the smell of lighter fluid burning reminds me of grilling as I knew it as a kid. That smell seems to travel a lot farther down the street than lighting charcoal a safer,smarter and plain better way. If I smell that aroma from down the street it is just one of those smells that takes me back....Of course these people don't know any better and I feel bad for the lady who lives next door to me....every time I light my chimney...which is ALOT!!....the wind blows it right into her back yard and her house since she usually has her back door open ....and I have had my chimney in different places all over the yard and it still goes right over there. ;D It is funny that most people think that you need fire/huge flames to cook over. They think that the charcoal is only good to cook on when it is flaming and once it is ashed over it is pretty much no good for cooking. Considering how many households own at least one grill and in many cases a $99 Weber...it is odd how many people don't know how to use them. This is a good thing for the people on this forum since it leads to a whole lot of give away/sell for next to nothing deals for collecting and whatnot. A case in point.....when I told my Wife that I wanted a $99 Weber she got pissed at me. The only thing she thought about them was that they blew over because of the 3 legs and that they were not very versatile, beginner type grills. She doesn't think that any more!
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »

OTPlatinum ~~>
"It is funny that most people think that you need fire/huge flames to cook over. They think that the charcoal is only good to cook on when it is flaming and once it is ashed over it is pretty much no good for cooking."

Hence................."the Ceremonial Crazing of the Bowls"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »
My neighbor squirts lighter fluid on her Craplight all the time. She then without fail, stares a me as I decide which kettle to cook on, get my chimney ready and I still beat her to putting food on. I think she thinks I'm strange with the multiple kettles and all.... I can smell that lighter fluid from the front of my house. When I do I think "Oh'p, the lady out back must be squiring her craplight"  ;D

On another note, the smell of lighter fluid does take me back to the 80s (my childhood). My neighbors had a kettle, we had gas  ::) .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:32:51 PM by Craig »