Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brining a pork butt  (Read 9483 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Brining a pork butt
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »
Same here, my plan is to try it in my wsm. I'm thinking two butts and a big pot of DB's underneath.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
We always inject and rub the night before. I put the butt on by 8am to have it done around 4pm. I do it low and slow at around 225-250 range and take it off at 200 internal temp. How much/big is the pork butt you want to cook? I always cut ours in half...most of the time I just cook one half and freeze the rest for next time since 4 pounds is enough for me and the family , but even if I do a whole one( usually we get them at around 9 pounds) we still cut it in half.....it will cook faster that way. I low and slow it for right around 8 hours and then foil it for an hour and then pull. Since I read on the net that people low and slow theirs for 12 or 13 hours I would say the trick is to reduce the size of the butt or butts to smaller roasts if you want to cook them faster and still low and slow them. If you are impatient this may help you get the results you want using the techniques you want but speed up your cook. Hope that helps you in some way. By the way I am cooking a pork butt in the morning (Sunday) so I will be putting it on by 8 am.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
.... By the way I am cooking a pork butt in the morning (Sunday) so I will be putting it on by 8 am.

Thanks, OTP. It helps a great deal. We will be cooking at the same time. I just put the rub on my shoulder and put it back in the fridge. Please post some pics, as will I.

Slainte
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:14 AM »
Good Morning, All!

The XC and I got the shoulder on this morning at 7:30. We are using the 2-1 snake method with some Pecan chunks. We also decided to brine our shoulder because we had the time to let it sit for 12 hours in the brine. Our brine was kosher salt, water and some apple juice. The rub we are using is a sweet pecan rub from a spice shop here in town.

Rubbed and rested overnight...

The set up...

The beginning of the magic (we hope!!)

BTW, this is also the first cook on the Performer that I picked up a few months back. I will post more pics as the cook progresses.
The XC reminded me that the word of the day is PATIENCE
Thanks for following! Slainte
   ~Julia Child

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of mine that you requested.

The setup

The butt going on at around 7:30 am.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:05:04 AM by One Touch Platinum »

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
Nice!! Thanks, OTP.
   ~Julia Child

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
Here's mine! Came off the grill at a little over 8 hours. Internal temp was 200 degrees and then I let it rest for 1 hour in foil.  One word.....YUM!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Brining a pork butt
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »

Just had pulled pork last weekend but that makes me want more. Looks perfect!

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
OTP, that looks fantastic!! The XC and I took ours off at 4:45, 180 degrees, and I am just going to pull it right now. Pics to follow!!!
   ~Julia Child

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
I'm curious, how did your pulled pork come out? It looks good in the pictures of the prep and going on the grill. I also am curious how the texture was at 180 internal? Did you pull it or did you serve it sliced?

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
Hey KG,

No need to brine.  I assume your going for pulled pork right?  If you want a ton of extra flavor start with about a cup of water in your drip pan.  When it's done (9+ hours) and you can wiggle the bone out, foil it and put it in an ice chest for a couple hours.  Empty all the juice ( probably a 1/2 cup) out of the foil into the drippings.  After you pull it, add all the drippings back into the meat.  Now your probably about 12 hours into your cook before you eat.  You can also do this: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/9lb-butt-on-the-rotisserie-now/  It's allot less time and really good (sliced though).  You don't need a Roti you can just cook it offset.  BTW, I've never tried this snake method but it seems like alot of work also.  Just pile up a bunch of coals and use the Minion method.  5 lit coals on the pile should get you up to temp 260 - 280 in about 20 minutes and atleast 8 hrs of burn.  Good luck with your cook.  Just my 5 cents............Fedex
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
Good Evening, All~

Sorry for the delay in posting the finished product. Our neighbors smelled the slow cooking goodness and showed up at our front door with a 6'er of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA with an offer of trade...needless to say I accepted.

The XC and I took the shoulder off the grill when the internal temp read 180 degrees. This was  9hrs on the grill and the snake was on its last 3 beads (tribute to our Aussie friends). We wrapped it and let is sit for 1 1/5 hrs, when the bone pulled out with no resistance at all.
Brining....In comparison to the shoulders and drip beans we have done before, there was a lot more "drip" into the beans. I'm not sure if this was due to the brining or the fact that we were actually patient and let the shoulder cook.

I guess the final result for Sunday is the shoulder and the beans turned out awesome, but it is going to require the XC and I to do another one (oh darn!) without the brine to see if it truly makes a difference. Here are the pics I have...

Half way through...Drakes Aroma Coma IPA. Every bit as good as Pliny the Elder for all of you IPA fans

Off the grill and in the foil to wrap. It read 180 internal at this point.

Pulled and ready to eat!! This is only about half of the shoulder.

The XC and I truly appreciate all of the advice we got from our WKC brethren. This was a big advance for us and we couldn't have done it without all the help!!

Thanks for following this thread!!

Slainte
   ~Julia Child

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Brining a pork butt
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
Great cook KG!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
Great cook! Glad it turned out well.

Question to all that have done this. Do you let the butt come to room temp, before hitting the Kettle?

I have brined turkey, but never a butt. What I have learned is to brine 48 hours prior to cook.
24 hour brine, pull from brine, stand 24 hours in fridge, then smoke. Has any one else tried this method?

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Great cook! Glad it turned out well.

Question to all that have done this. Do you let the butt come to room temp, before hitting the Kettle?

I have brined turkey, but never a butt. What I have learned is to brine 48 hours prior to cook.
24 hour brine, pull from brine, stand 24 hours in fridge, then smoke. Has any one else tried this method?

Thanks, GL! We brined the shoulder for about 10hrs, rubbed it, then pulled it out of the fridge and let it sit for 2hrs at room temp.
   ~Julia Child