Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weberitis!  (Read 21065 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Weberitis!
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
Yep, it's about time for this thread. Share your tales of how far you have driven and what happened along the way. Including the lies and deceit!  ;)

Please add related pictures, maybe the house you picked it up at, the previous owner or even the gruesome condition it was in when you bought it. This thread isn't limited only to purchases, but you can also tell us what you went through to make a sale and even a little about the buyer.

This should be good! ;D

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:04:24 PM by Duke »

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
Re: Weberitis!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »
I have nothing on Weberitis as most of you guys.I swear some of you need therapy. :) I drove 45 miles for a 26er. The guy I got it from was from a different site and was willing to drive down and meet me half way. I did drive 120 miles to pick up my Santa Maria grill.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Years ago, when I first started collecting Weber Gassers, I bought this one cheap (I thought) on Ebay and miscalculated how far it was for the pick-up. Ended up being maybe 280 miles round trip. Ended up giving it away to my wife's sister, and recently re-inherited it after it sat outside for probably 12 years. She used it mainly as a place to set out bird seed. No cover of course. Amazed it didn't rust away, and it still works good, but needs a cosmetic lift. I'll probably end up off-loading it again when I find a better (and closer) version. They do pop up all the time, but 25 miles is my limit. (He says with conviction...)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:49:15 AM »
This sounds fun.   I have one to add, but schooling comes first...... I will hop back on later to get mine on here.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:10 AM »
Went about 350 miles round trip to get my Genesis C model, I was new to to Craigslist and had no idea they popped up as often as they do much closer to home. I was happily surprised to get there and find it was the Gold model with stainless grates and vaporizers though.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »
Duke, you said lies and deceit, but this is a tell-all from one of my few DUMBASS moments of my own. According to my wife, my budweiser red SJS was only $20............  :-X  I won it at $106 on ebay with $24 shipping this was December, 2010.  I was caught up in the moment, had recently joined "that other site" at that point and had been bitten by the bug and really wanted a redhead SJS to go with my then recently accquired 22.5 red. This may be why I have yet to cook on it or turn it into a mini WSM. I really do want to get my money's worth out of it, somehow. Also, it showed up on our doorstep on Christmas Eve, I got a call from my wife while I was at work, and she WAS NOT HAPPY!!! She wanted to know why I needed another grill, and that's when money was tight and the $20 price just fell out of my mouth.   Yeah, I lost some wife points on that one.  :-[ Not one of my better moments. I still get mad at myself when I think of this!  >:( Because thats not how I normally operate.

Craig
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:53:41 AM by husker_red »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
Duke, you said lies and deceit, but this is a tell-all from one of my few DUMBASS moments of my own. According to my wife, my budweiser red SJS was only $20............  :-X  I won it at $106 on ebay with $24 shipping this was December, 2010.  I was caught up in the moment, had recently joined "that other site" at that point and had been bitten by the bug and really wanted a redhead SJS to go with my then recently accquired 22.5 red. This may be why I have yet to cook on it or turn it into a mini WSM. I really do want to get my money's worth out of it, somehow. Also, it showed up on our doorstep on Christmas Eve, I got a call from my wife while I was at work, and she WAS NOT HAPPY!!! She wanted to know why I needed another grill, and that's when money was tight and the $20 price just fell out of my mouth.   Yeah, I lost some wife points on that one.  :-[ Not one of my better moments. I still get mad at myself when I think of this!  >:( Because thats not how I normally operate.

Craig
The tagline "When I die I am sure my wife will sell all of my Webers for what I said I paid for them". Comes to mind. :D

These are great stories. I will get one together as soon as I can.

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
I feel guilty...I sat at home sipping on an adult beverage and waited for the FEDEX guy to show up.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
On my Redhead i called and called on the way home and no answer! Finally reached them, they lived about 60 miles one way away and during rush hour :o

My Blue was about the same distance away but in town also during rush hour :o  I now search CL almost every day ::)  My Holy Grail list continues to grow because of this place, because i find out about different versions and colors of kettles and sizes :'(
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:16 AM »
My WIFE drove to the Green Bay area to get my yellow Ranger.  When she got there, the guy had another one...the red one I have.  The drive to Green Bay was a little over 200miles.  I was working out of town at the time, and she was off work at the time, so she volunteered to do that for me!  I also drove to Indianapolis for my red ss Performer.  That was a little over 2 hours also. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:21 AM »
My WIFE drove to the Green Bay area to get my yellow Ranger.  When she got there, the guy had another one...the red one I have.  The drive to Green Bay was a little over 200miles.  I was working out of town at the time, and she was off work at the time, so she volunteered to do that for me!  I also drove to Indianapolis for my red ss Performer.  That was a little over 2 hours also.
Sick sick sick ................. :-\

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
yeah...but the question is...WHO is sicker? Me or my wife?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »
Oh definitly your wife.  ;D

Just kidding, she's a sweetheart. We all envy a wife that shares in our hobbies/sickness. ;)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:13 PM »
This could be therapeutic or disastrous, depending on who has your password....

I got a red Seville from a real estate agent ( it was a estate sale where the homeowner had passed away) who had to meet with the Uship driver, who took it to my friends sister house, who stored it for a year until I could pick it up.  I bought a red Sequoia from British Columbia, where the seller had to drive it to the US and put it on a bus to Atlanta, GA.  I once saw a picture of a light blue Imperial (1963) on Flicka. I contacted the photographer who took the picture over two years ago at a antique store.  She could not remember the name of the store, only the city it was in.  I called and emailed the picture to 8 different antique stores before I got a lead.  The store owner remembered the grill, but the man who rented the booth from her was no longer there.  But I had his name and was able to find another antique store he was at.  He had not sold it but lent the grill to his son to use.  In the end I bought the grill but the process took 7-8 months.  I have left notes multiple times on
homeowners houses that have vintage Webers in the backyard.  I have found an 18.5 Jumbo Joe in the middle of I 20, and a red Smokey Joe in a land fill.   My this is fun.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:03:46 PM by reillyranch »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
This could be therapeutic or disastrous, depending on who has your password....

I got a red Seville from a real estate agent ( it was a estate sale where the homeowner had passed away) who had to meet with the Uship driver, who took it to my friends sister house, who stored it for a year until I could pick it up.  I bought a red Sequoia from British Columbia, where the seller had to drive it to the US and put it on a bus to Atlanta, GA.  I once saw a picture of a light blue Imperial (1963) on Flicka. I contacted the photographer who took the picture over two years ago at a antique store.  She could not remember the name of the store, only the city it was in.  I called and emailed the picture to 8 different antique stores before I got a lead.  The store owner remembered the grill, but the man who rented the booth from her was no longer there.  But I had his name and was able to find another antique store he was at.  He had not sold it but lent the grill to his son to use.  In the end I bought the grill but the process took 7-8 months.  I have left notes multiple times on homeowners houses that have vintage Webers in the backyard.  I have found Smokey Joe Gold in the middle of I 20, and a red Smokey Joe in a land fill.   My this is fun.

Welcome Reillyranch! Please share some pictures! :)

You reminded me I need to bug the guy down the road about his rusted out beat up red 26.r.   :-[