Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The oldest Weber I have ever seen.....  (Read 9130 times)

kaz

• WKC Brave
Re: The oldest Weber I have ever seen.....
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »
The oldest Weber WE have seen.... Lots of guys here have seen older kettles....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry, what?!
#grubdubs

Craig

• WKC Mod
The oldest Weber I have ever seen.....
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
I have surmised on my age write up that this version did exist before the final lid design was introduced in 1956. The picture of the demo above is where I first saw that style a year or 2 ago. The one in the above black and white has the legs set to the more familiar angles. I don't know if the one in the pic that Harris shared has the legs splayed from not having a triangle brace or pan or if George and the gang were still playing with the design. I love this kettle. So unique. Just imagine the number of birthday parties, Memorial Days, 4th of julys and countless other events, not to mention the number of burgers and dogs cooked on this near 60 year old kettle. Harris, is there any further information you can get from the owner? Additional photos! Thanks for posting this! I'm guesstimating this to be a 1955-early 1956 kettle. With all the parts "transitioning" Weber has seem to have done in the 50s-60s-70s and 80s it wouldn't surprise me at all if 1955 saw buoy style and this or 1956 saw this and the regular lid versions. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:57:39 PM by Craig »

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
Why not 53-54?
#grubdubs

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
Remember that flat top one that surfaced with the weird bottom cylinder welded onto it. I forget what size that was. But pretty sure it was in Ill.
#grubdubs

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
Remember that flat top one that surfaced with the weird bottom cylinder welded onto it. I forget what size that was. But pretty sure it was in Ill.

The Great Pumpkin! I remember it well.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/the-great-pumpkin-is-real!!/

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »
Poor Ed. :(

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
The great pumpkin was a ranch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
I have surmised on my age write up that this version did exist before the final lid design was introduced in 1956. The picture of the demo above is where I first saw that style a year or 2 ago. The one in the above black and white has the legs set to the more familiar angles. I don't know if the one in the pic that Harris shared has the legs splayed from not having a triangle brace or pan or if George and the gang were still playing with the design. I love this kettle. So unique. Just imagine the number of birthday parties, Memorial Days, 4th of julys and countless other events, not to mention the number of burgers and dogs cooked on this near 60 year old kettle. Harris, is there any further information you can get from the owner? Additional photos! Thanks for posting this! I'm guesstimating this to be a 1955-early 1956 kettle. With all the parts "transitioning" Weber has seem to have done in the 50s-60s-70s and 80s it wouldn't surprise me at all if 1955 saw buoy style and this or 1956 saw this and the regular lid versions. :)

"I'm guesstimating this to be a 1955-early 1956 kettle."

Well....according to MacEggs, I'm supposed to be looking for one from the year I was born.....now I know what to aim for...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
I can't imagine the pm's that enrage guy is probably getting. This thing has to be way before '56

The ashtangle is so sophisticated and refined by 56 with wire holders, brackets, and rounded edges and cut outs.

This thing looks like he took the axle off a radio flyer, welded the legs on so that axle would fit, the added a third leg and another handle to move it by. Because like he said it's thick heavy steel. This could be as early as '52.
#grubdubs

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
If I am not mistaken George sold 'Georges BBQ Kettle' until '54. I would call this a late '54 or just a '55 if I had to put a year on it.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
If I am not mistaken George sold 'Georges BBQ Kettle' until '54. I would call this a late '54 or just a '55 if I had to put a year on it.

Same spot I would guess.

We do have visual examples of kettles with no triangle at all, but that do have the current lid style, so we know there were intervening steps to get to the 57 58 style.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

Hey Shaun, have you cooked on your 26"er with that lid yet? That looks pretty sweet!  8)