Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle reattachment question  (Read 9218 times)

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Handle reattachment question
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:58:05 AM »
I picked up a '93 green SS performer yesterday off craigslist.  Pretty much the only thing wrong with it is the top handle on the cover.  It came off clean. 

Now I need to reattach it.  Any ideas on how to do this?  Can it be welded from the inside?  What about JB Weld?

Thanks in advance!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Handle reattachment question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
I would think you could reweld it if its not too rusty. You could also drill through it and attach it with a nut and bolt.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »
Maybe you could bolt it on then hide the bolt by putting in a thermometer that would sit over it.

Personally i'd take to somebody and have it tack welded back on. I have a green platinum but haven't had to touch up any spots so I don't know of any paints that might match. Good luck. Might just have to bbq black it until you find something better.
#grubdubs

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think that I will try a welder friend of mine and see what his thoughts are.  I really hate to drill and nut/bolt it on, but I have a feeling that is where this project will end.  It will definitely be a last resort.  I only paid 25 for the performer so worst case I can buy a lid and still be okay price wise.  It is going to my father-in-law when its done. 

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
Be careful with the welding, it tends to blow the enamel clean off the inside. Personally I'd use rivets,should be able to match the paint and you only need to drill a 3/8 hole. I used rivets to attach a lid holder , it was easy to drill and you have to look pretty hard to notice the rivets
Cheers
Joel
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
have you called weber? they might send you a whole new lid.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »

It wouldn't be under warranty any more, right?  It's a '93.  A new lid is $65 if I remember correctly.  I was hoping not to spend that much of money. 

I think I will look into the rivet option as well as the weld. 
Thanks- Ted

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
I checked on a lid for a 2003 SS Performer, and it was only $47 with shipping.  Mine is black, though, and I suppose it might be more expensive for a fancy color like green. 
One of the charcoal people.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Trust me your welding buddy will have no problem grinding down a spot and dropping a big fat weld bead on there. Almost every free kettle I've picket up has needed a leg socket welded back on. The welders I took it to commented on how thick the metal is and can't believe the age of it. One time the guy was in the middle of making a custom bbq pit on a trailer everytime its been $10 and takes less than 10 minutes.

One thing is tell your buddy that you don't want slag all over it. Its the difference between a nice job and a its just done job.  The slag flys off like metal spit while he's welding on it and its tiny bits that stick to the porcelein. Its the kind of thing that only you will notice but might bug ya. I know it did me! So have him drape a welding apron around it or something.
#grubdubs

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »

It wouldn't be under warranty any more, right?  It's a '93.  A new lid is $65 if I remember correctly.  I was hoping not to spend that much of money. 

I think I will look into the rivet option as well as the weld. 
Thanks- Ted

Call them anyway. You might be surprised ;)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
Sometimes the small nut and bolt will be less noticeable than the new welds.  One way or another you will have to try to touch up the paint.  The nut and bolt will be easy and fairly discreet.  A small round head 6-32 will be pretty small.  I had to resort to this a few times and I was pretty happy with the final outcome.  The European handles bolt on so it's not like it's some sort of sacrilege.  I have seen those welds with the slag sprayed all over and that is way worse than a nut and bolt

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
I wanted to update and thank everyone for their input.  A friend of mine who welds alot was able to reattach the handle from the inside of the lid.  The handle had broken off clean and  required very little cleaning and prep.  it came out awesome!  Hopefully it holds although I don't know why it wouldn't.  My next option is the nut and bolt.  I did try calling Weber twice about a new one but no dice :(  again thanks to everyone. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
Come on Ted..... PICTURES!   :)

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
It sounds like a great job. Please share!  :D

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
https://picasaweb.google.com/117188523082884383089/HandleReattachment?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrcrvH1lqGaUQ

Here are pictures.  I had my wife take them, since I sold the grill to my in-laws and wouldn't have been able to get there for a couple of weeks.  So hopefully it is what you were hoping for. :) 

Sorry for the delay.  I always forget to take pics.  Trying to change that just for Brian though ;D