Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My reconditioned Black SS....Finally!! W/Pics everyone, gather around!!  (Read 6088 times)

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
I promised pics and here they are. It's not restored like new, just don't have the time or $$ but much better than before. Fixed cross members with star nuts, which I discovered on this forum, and cleaned kettle, painted frame and cleaned ss table as good as possible. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results. My first Performer and wow, now I know what all the fuss is about with the gas ignition, very convenient, and believe it or not, this feature I believe will save you on charcoal, never realized this before but when I put charcoal in my chimney, I don't put the coals on the grill until all are fully involved, which is fine, but I have discovered with this Performer, that my heat doesn't last as long this way.As I said, on my Performer, it lights just a few coals to start, heat still goes up pretty quickly, like the other method, but it lasts a lot longer, and more steady temp range, quite a surprise to me. May start just lighting a few on my chimney and see how that works, may not be a surprise anyone here but I found it pretty interesting!! ::) Please be easy guys, my first restoration!! ;)

08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: My reconditioned Black SS....Finally!! W/Pics everyone, gather around!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
That is an excellent job!  I am not sure why you would need to spend any more time on it because that looks like a winner!  Where did you come up with the star nuts for the cross members?  I have a need for some of those myself. I remember reading about them but I was not sure where you can actually get some.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
Fantastic job, and in my favorite non-color too! Should be good for another 20 years. I'm envious of the cast iron grates. You got yourself one mean grilling machine there. By the way, is that grate hook supposed to go over the lip of the bin like that?   

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
My reconditioned Black SS....Finally!! W/Pics everyone, gather around!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
Go easy?!  You look like an old pro on this one. Great job. The first few times with the propane assist is mind blowing. You'll get used to it now and won't go back.

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Fantastic job, and in my favorite non-color too! Should be good for another 20 years. I'm envious of the cast iron grates. You got yourself one mean grilling machine there. By the way, is that grate hook supposed to go over the lip of the bin like that?

I'm pretty sure it does, never had another to compare to and it seems to fit, and thanks!! ;)
08 Genesis S320,01 Green Platinum, 00 SS Black performer,99 Red Mastertouch Gold,Chargriller Akorn, Wooden handled 18.5 WSM, 13 Jumbo Joe,11 Weber Fireplace

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
Randy, I know this is your first resto so I will be gentle.  Everything looks perfect except for one thing.  The hard truth is this:  that's not the proper grate for that grill.  Not stock at all.  Seems like the seller ripped you off.  I'll be happy to help you by trading it out for the proper grate-- I've got one for a 2003 SS Performer that I restored.  PM me your address so we can swap.

;-)
One of the charcoal people.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure it does, never had another to compare to and it seems to fit, and thanks!! ;)

I think he was saying... you might want to check and see how it fits when you put the clip end under the basket.  ;)

Tom C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

Great work she hot!

fat side down

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »
Looks great!  Now get her dirty!

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
Nice job, something so cool about getting a SS performer up to snuff. Oh yeah, I'm going to steal your clip-on light idea for my setup...  ;)
Uncommon sense seeker

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
mmm love it

well done
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »

I think he was saying... you might want to check and see how it fits when you put the clip end under the basket.  ;)
[/quote

Gotcha, I'm a little slow guys.. :P

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »

[/quote

Ok, I put the clip under the bin and fits much better, thanks!! You learn something everyday!! ::)

RandyG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
Nice job, something so cool about getting a SS performer up to snuff. Oh yeah, I'm going to steal your clip-on light idea for my setup...  ;)

The light really helps for a night cook, getting to where I can't see in the dark like I used to, but now my light is acting up, going to have to replace it soon!! :D