Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Real Time Prime Brisket Performance  (Read 5941 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Real Time Prime Brisket Performance
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:33:10 AM »
Well I decided to  try out a prime grade brisket instead of a choice grade one since the local meat market had some. 

Yes it cost twice what I normally pay, but why not give it a shot.

The meat market had some Butcher BBQ brisket injection so I decided to pick some up.  Here is the star of the show, Mr. Prime Brisket, with it's supporting cast.

Did the grid pattern on it throughout the whole thing.  This injection stuff is messy business. Mr. Brisket took an overnight nap while moisturizing.

Did an equal part by volume ground pepper and kosher salt, and 1/4 volume garlic powder.  Left the cast on the counter to get ready for the stage (come up to room temp)

While the cast warmed up, I set the stage.  Ring of fire method w/ red oak.  The ring is layers of 2 x 2 x 1 kingsford blue.

Got the audience riled up and ready to go.  8 kbb grayed over.

And Mr. Brisket and his crew take center stage.

Sublime Smokin Deck is live!

And now the performance goes on.

More pictures as the different acts take place.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Real Time Prime Brisket Performance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 05:49:01 AM »
Awesome setup and good lookin brisket!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

tek4dr

• Happy Cooker
Re: Real Time Prime Brisket Performance
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:51:15 AM »
Looking good Aawa! cant wait to try this out! :D ;D
SS Performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:02:39 AM »

Looks grate !!!

......even 'clockwise (correct for beef!)

............except git some kinda pan under that to collect that juice better, or I'll spank ya !!!

there's round disposeables at the grocery store even......

don't be losin' no prime grade beef goo !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:06:44 AM »

Looks grate !!!

......even 'clockwise (correct for beef!)

............except git some kinda pan under that to collect that juice better, or I'll spank ya !!!

there's round disposeables at the grocery store even......

don't be losin' no prime grade beef goo !!!!

I actually have the rounded out foil by the coals to collect the drippings.  There is no water in it today.  I did that because it is rainy out and the humidity is high and I want a good bark to form, so I didn't fee like I needed to keep water in the drip foil.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »
Doing this cook hot and fast.  Low and Slow?  Aint nobody got time for that today!

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 06:42:39 AM »
1.5 hours in and the audience is getting the performance of a lifetime.  The Mr. Brisket is starting to get red with how much effort he is putting in.

Tom C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:05:29 AM »
Mr. Brisket looks awesome.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »
YUM!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

tek4dr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
How long is the cook time for Mr Brisket?
SS Performer

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
How long is the cook time for Mr Brisket?

It has been on for 3.5 hours Rob.  It probably has an hour or so left to cook.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:45:11 AM »
3.5 hours in and everybody is happy happy happy.  I went out front to get the mail and my neighbors said that I should be completely ashamed because I am making the whole neighborhood smell good and they aren't eating any of it yet.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
looking forward to the rest of this post!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
Mr. Brisket earned his intermission.  I took him off the smoker at about the 5hour and 15mins mark.  He finally went probe tender at 202 degrees internal temperature.

Here he is taking a glamor shot with a foil background.  He rested for 20mins to vent off the heat that would cause carry over cooking, then wrapped in foil and getting some much needed relaxation time during the intermission.

He is getting some alone time until the grand finale!

For those of you that were wondering.  Here is a final shot of the ring of fire that was left.  It made it about 3/4 of the way through the ring before I pulled it off the smoker.  Temperature was 300ish through most of the cook, with some spikes to 330ish because of the wind blowing today.  There is probably another 3 hours worth of ring left if you cook at 300 degrees.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
Nice work and nice story. That looks great!
kettles, smokers...