Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: chicken quarters this weekend - questions  (Read 6476 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Re: chicken quarters this weekend - questions
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
My last rant about reverse sear...I PROMISE! It is like two cars.....one is a slow moving one and the other is like a race car. The cars will both hit the finish line...in this case the target temp...but the race car (non-reverses sear) will aproach and pass over the finish line very fast, so very little room for error as far as timing goes to catch it right at the line. The slow car (Reverse sear) will slowly approach the finish line and you can easily catch it as it gets near and be standing there when it gets there and catch it EVERYTIME! How many times in your life have you had a boneless chicken breast? More so, how many times have you had one from a restaurant? How many times has it been juicy? How many times has it been dried out? For me it has always been dried out. They will always over cook them so they can serve a safe piece of meat to the customer....this is NOT the way to make chicken for yourself! If you don't want to reverse sear chicken you can still get great results everytime, if you use a thermometer you won't have to guess if it is done and you won't have to cut into the meat to peek either ......but you will need to keep a very close eye on it if you want it to be consistant from one cook to another. There is no right or wrong way, what I do is what works for me...but I would stress that an instant read thermometer will vastly simplify your cooking experience and will help get the same results every single time. Just my two cents.....go to go...they are dragging my soap box away. ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:48 AM by One Touch Platinum »
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »

I'll drag your soapbox back in at any given time....'cause I've seen your cookups & you get great results.........that being said.......

"How many times in your life have you had a boneless chicken breast? More so, how many times have you had one from a restaurant? How many times has it been juicy? How many times has it been dried out?"

Restaurant ones are dodo, unless they're smothered in some kind of sauce & even then, sometimes not so good..........
For me at home, I do bnls/skls more than anything else.......I can take an un-brined, un-marinated boneless, skinless breast & do it, smoked, perfect & the juice will squirt ya.....I do them a lot & sometimes even use a therm.....

It's also fun & interesting to marinade, brine, inject that particular piece.....I think of it approximately like a pork tenderloin.....not a lot of fat, juice it up by 'cheating' with injection  &/or marinade for long periods............
Don't know if I got a good pic of the chicken, but here's what pork t-loin's like ~~>

Stuff's like pork flavored butter, with a sip of cajun butter to wash it down............. ;D

Looked & most all my chicken pics are goofy for some reason.....

OK.....back to the regularly scheduled programming....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
That pork looks sinful! ;D I can almost see some meat through all that juice. Kind of off topic....I like steak done on my grill better than restaurant steak too.....and pork and desserts and breads and....hmmm let me think....what don't I like better off of my grill............................................................Nothing. I may have to take my Weber to the next restaurant I go to....just order everything raw and cook it myself in the parking lot. :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:11:58 PM by One Touch Platinum »
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
That pork looks sinful! ;D I can almost see some meat through all that juice. Kind of off topic....I like steak done on my grill better than restaurant steak too.....and pork and desserts and breads and....hmmm let me think....what don't I like better off of my grill............................................................Nothing. I may have to take my Weber to the next restaurant I go to....just order everything raw and cook it myself in the parking lot. :D

Yeah & if you look close in the 2nd pic, there's tell-tale signs of "mopping" going on..... 8)

I've done parking lot events....one comes to mind @ a credit union location where the wife used to work.....I start settin' up for tri-tips & various grilled sides.....some tenderloins also IIRC & the construction workers next door were asking how much for sammiches, etc.......had to tell them: "There's restaurants right over there >>>"
They were sad...... :'(
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"