Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "K-Mart" kettle  (Read 4075 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
"K-Mart" kettle
« on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »
Now I know we have heard of Sears have an economy kettle that may or may not have been made for them by Weber.  There has also been discussion about some kettle bowls with the ridge or indentation that may have been meant for a cooking grate to cradle in.  Check this grill out.   The handles actually have "K-Mart" stamped in what looks to be a plastic handle. 

Just thought the photos were interesting just to document another knock off kettle.  Even the top vent looks pretty close.
If someone can post the ad photo on here before the ad expires, that would be great.  And never mind what this person is trying to do with the cooking grate.  I'm sure they will tell us thats how the grill came too!  :)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/3969948017.html
Kettle collector AND cooker!

AngelB

• WKC Brave
Re: "K-Mart" kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:57:14 AM »

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
Ya see something new every day!    Unfortunately, it looks like there is no internal ash pan, otherwise this would be worth 10 bucks.

Hard to say if the was UNR, weber, or a combo of the two (post Weber buying the tooling).

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
"K-Mart" kettle
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
Very interesting, definitely something new.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

ChadRex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
Looks like a Happy Cooker, but if thee is no internal ash catcher/drip pan then I am at a loss as to who makes this one.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."                                                                                               ... Aristotle

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »
I had one of those that was given to us by a family member when we first got married about 20 years ago.  It was very 'used' then, so they must have made them quite awhile back.

I *think* it had an external 'twist' ash-pan on it, but I can't quite remember as that was my 'pre-master-BBQ' days.  LOL

I do remember it was a piece of $h&T however.  Could not keep the thing lit-hot, so we went to a cheap gasser shortly thereafter and either gave it to another family member, or tossed it out.  I'd be curious if I could make it do what I wanted now that I know how to better control a kettle.

Ahhh.....   The good old days.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »
Happy Cooker?  But the handles say "KMart"  ?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
If the Old Sears was analgous to weber,  then surely the Old K Mart was analgous to Happy Cooker.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
First....these are way cooler than the happy cookers....Second, it seems the cooking grate doesn't quite fit, pretty much looks like something that would come from Kmart.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

ChadRex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »

Happy Cooker?  But the handles say "KMart"  ?

If the Old Sears was analogous to Weber,  then surely the Old K Mart was analogous to Happy Cooker.

My old man passed down a sears /Kenmore Kettle  with an internal Ash catcher.  For years he thought it was a re-branded Weber, He bought it sometime between 1985-1989..
It wasn't until recently after visiting another forum that I learned it is a "Happy Cooker"

It is indeed a happy Cooker, in Excellent condition.
Just because the handle says "K-Mart"  or in my case the one I have says "Kenmore" 
Apparently the Happy Cookers were so close to Weber design that they faced legal action and eventually stopped producing their kettles.

I still have the grill, and use it every Thanksgiving to smoke my Turkey.
It works great and looks good, I have replaced the legs and wheels  and it works and performs just as a Weber kettle does..

A couple feature I like on it that the Weber kettles do not have..
1) the wired Lid holder,
2) built in integrated ash catcher/drip pan

I will take pictures of it and share with everyone.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."                                                                                               ... Aristotle

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
ChadRex, This is a topic we have discussed a bit here.

I have an opinion on these that may differ from others.

I think that the Sears (and Kmart apparently) grills varied by manufacturer based on when they were sold, and even then, may have components from both UNARCO(The Happy Cooker guys) and Weber in them. 

My Sears Kettle was almost certainly made by weber, in terms of the vents(stamped) and lid and bowl components.  The wheels as well were unbranded Webers.  It had  the internal ash pan as well, which people (such as yourself)  correctly term a "Happy Cooker" part, but .....

recall two things:

1) Weber bought the tooling when UNARCO went out of business/stopped making grills.  This tooling likely continued producing parts, while owned by weber.  In particular, Weber likely used this tooling when it was making grills to be branded sears or kenmore.
2) Weber itself sold these parts.  For example, Not all that long ago you could buy that internal "Happy Cooker" ash pan FROM WEBER.

Point being:  It probably is no more correct to call your Kenmore a "Happy Cooker" than it is to call it a "Weber".  It is probably some of both.  But it is definitely a "Kenmore".

If you still have your Kenmore that the old man gave you, can you check both the top and bottom vents for date codes please?

ChadRex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »
ChadRex, This is a topic we have discussed a bit here.

I have an opinion on these that may differ from others.

I think that the Sears (and Kmart apparently) grills varied by manufacturer based on when they were sold, and even then, may have components from both UNARCO(The Happy Cooker guys) and Weber in them. 

My Sears Kettle was almost certainly made by weber, in terms of the vents(stamped) and lid and bowl components.  The wheels as well were unbranded Webers.  It had  the internal ash pan as well, which people (such as yourself)  correctly term a "Happy Cooker" part, but .....

recall two things:

1) Weber bought the tooling when UNARCO went out of business/stopped making grills.  This tooling likely continued producing parts, while owned by weber.  In particular, Weber likely used this tooling when it was making grills to be branded sears or kenmore.
2) Weber itself sold these parts.  For example, Not all that long ago you could buy that internal "Happy Cooker" ash pan FROM WEBER.

Point being:  It probably is no more correct to call your Kenmore a "Happy Cooker" than it is to call it a "Weber".  It is probably some of both.  But it is definitely a "Kenmore".

If you still have your Kenmore that the old man gave you, can you check both the top and bottom vents for date codes please?

I will bring it out tonight check codes and take some photos, it needs a good cleaning a good excuse for me clean it up..

jperry1907

• WKC Brave
"K-Mart" kettle
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I saw a JC Penny kettle a few months back that looks very similar. The handles are different but the kettle, wheels and bottom triangle look a lot alike. Maybe the same manufacturer....
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/jc-penny-kettle/msg36349/?PHPSESSID=74732987cb6b8ded447c153d2053f2f2

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
definitely j perry. 

Also, not all of these have the bowl ridge.