Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking now and can't get temp up.....  (Read 3541 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Cooking now and can't get temp up.....
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
I had planned to make a pork loin today and then after watching Larry's bean video I threw some beans on there as well. 

I usually cook around 350 or so, but today I can't get it past 310.  This is lid temp, I don't have a grate therm. 

Doing everything I usually do .......bottom vents open About halfway, top vent about the same.   Only difference was that instead of 3/4 chimney lit, I only did half this time.  But I did have some unlit under them. 

No wind, no rain.  Don't know what is different. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
Re: Cooking now and can't get temp up.....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
Maybe the 3/4 vs 1/2 chimney made the difference.  I think I heard that a full chimney holds 60 coals so that can be as many as 15 lit coals which is a lot of heat.  When I wanna go hot, I crack the top by displacing the lid off the edga a bit.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:53:26 AM »
I guess that was it,  the lesser amount of coals because it never moved.   

But...... Good learning lesson because at the lower temp the pork had a little bit of a smoke ring .....I cooked it to 140....trying to convince my girls that it can go even lower....and it was still very moist.  And the beans thickened up awesomely!

Oh and about the lid, since I had a little bit of smoke on there I kept the lid super tight! Now I know.....and knowing is half the battle!   :P :P :P

Thanks! 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Maybe the 3/4 vs 1/2 chimney made the difference.  I think I heard that a full chimney holds 60 coals so that can be as many as 15 lit coals which is a lot of heat.  When I wanna go hot, I crack the top by displacing the lid off the edga a bit.
Kinda confirms my thinking on this also. Learning every time i cook  8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
I guess that was it,  the lesser amount of coals because it never moved.   

But...... Good learning lesson because at the lower temp the pork had a little bit of a smoke ring .....I cooked it to 140....trying to convince my girls that it can go even lower....and it was still very moist.  And the beans thickened up awesomely!

Oh and about the lid, since I had a little bit of smoke on there I kept the lid super tight! Now I know.....and knowing is half the battle!   :P :P :P

Thanks!

Glad it all worked out for you.  Sounds like good grub.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »
It WAS good!    And Ron, that's part of the fun, always learning!