Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My rehabbed avacado 22  (Read 6177 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
My rehabbed avacado 22
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »
So some of you may remember a 22 avocado popped up nearby me in Geneva, Il.  I was first to respond and picked it up...here was the link to our thread for it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/and-now-a-sage-green-for-$25-in-geneva!-(chi)/

Now this grill was actually in pretty good shape as far as the bowl and lid.  The only glaring issue was a chip about the size of a half dollar around one of the leg sockets.  The lid had a chip on it about the size of half a corn kernel, and one ding/chip in the lip of the lid.  There was also a chip on the face of the metal pull handle on the bowl.  The handle on top was trashed, the wheels were steel with rubber tread, but extremely rusty...but still solid.   The triangle was beyond making it nice again. 

So I've spent some time cleaning this one up.  Got a new handle on it from Brian, and a replacement triangle from Stu the original was too far gone to make look nice again (thanks again!) the  replacement he gave me was still good and polished up very nice.  I sanded the wheels down with a dremel attachment, primed them, repainted them, and used a whitewall vinyl sticker from Brian (thanks!).  I put new axle hub caps on it to finish them off.  Lastly, the legs were polished.   Whats also cool and unusual, is that the inside isn't your typical black color, but more of a gun metal bluish color.  There is a little bit of surface rust inside, but not bad.  This grill turned out pretty darn nice and is solid.  I just need a cap for the front leg.  This is a patent pending grill with no number on the vent.
While avocado isn't one of my favorite colors, I was kinda missing my previous one that I just traded to Stu at our Weber Fest party.   I'll hang onto this one for a while, but it may be used for a trade with someone in the future for another rare or uncommon grill...BTW, I really want an old 22 baby blue!

Here is the lid when I got it...yeah it was that nice..but I did polish the vent a little already at this point...it was pretty dingy

Primed and painted wheels

Polished legs

New white walls

Polished up underside

Finished product
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:40:23 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
Re: My rehabbed avacado 22
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
Great Job!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
Awesome again Jeff. A truly wonderful restoration.

Based on my avacado of the same vintage, I agree the inside is not black. You call it gun blue, I call it gray. 

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
Bucket full :o

Ahhh fuck that's so fucking sweet

Sensational cleanup of an already well cared for grill

Easily top avo I've seen

Credit to ya
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
Fantastic work Jeff. You can really tell how much you love these grills looking at the end results of your restores.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My rehabbed avacado 22
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
That's not real! Looks great jeff!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
Wow Jeff, that really turned out great!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
Nice Cado Jeff! Two things that stand out that I really like are the Duke style dirty angle and the wheel push nuts.  8)

I have noticed the cados usually look like they have a white mist sprayed inside of them.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
Nice job.  Have you noticed how much heavier the lid is compared to the newer kettles ?  My 69 Cado vent is the background for my cell phone screen.  8)
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Wow nice work, Jeff!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
That looks amazing! I'm wondering what material you used to cover the chip near the leg socket?
Uncommon sense seeker

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
Nice job.  Have you noticed how much heavier the lid is compared to the newer kettles ?  My 69 Cado vent is the background for my cell phone screen.  8)

No doubt java. My 69 avacado is noticeably my heaviest lid.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
That spectacular! Awesome restore Jeff! I hope to have one some day.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
Impressive.
Nice save indeed!
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:00:22 AM »
Very pretty. What did you name her? I like the two tone fade. I love the weber colors a lot, especially the oddballs.