News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Vintage kettle lid handle repairs?

Started by Nightgriller, October 01, 2026, 07:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightgriller

First time posting, long time grilling.

Just got a decent 1976 redhead with a bent lid handle. Looking at the best way to straighten it out. The lid handle got pushed down into the bowl enough to make the lid vent not seal any more so I need to pop that out at the very least. Should I tried and do a light burn in the kettle and straighten it while it's kinda hot still? Or I was thinking place the lid in a bed of play sand and push the dent out.

I have a 1977 brownie that had a bent lid handle and in the process of straightening it I damaged a lot more porcelain that I wanted to and don't want that to happen again. I used a dead blow and a short piece of a wooden broom stick for the brownie repair.

What's the best way or advice? And leave the bent handle section as long as the lid vent seals?

Tommie

From experience, I would definitely push out from the inside yeah. Lay it on something soft like a pillow/rolled up groundsheet/cardboard.

 Don't hammer it- not even with a rubber mallet, just push it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommie

Broom handle should work, or just and bit of slightly curved ended wood that you can press against it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightgriller

Brownie damage before and after. The weld on the lid vent side was broken and barely hanging on. (I chipped a lot more than I wanted to as you can see). I was thinking about drilling out the spot weld and using stainless bolts but that seems so wrong to bring a drill bit around that vintage beauty.

And the redhead before. I haven't touch the redhead yet I'm still waiting before I get to that repair.

Thank you for the advice.

ASpitzer

Looks pretty good in the after photo. Better that what you started with. Well done!
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow