Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My nemesis cook:brisket  (Read 1265 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My nemesis cook:brisket
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
Well I've been having great luck with pork lately. Years ago I tried a brisket that turned into shoe leather. Ever since then I've been avoiding my nemesis. After plenty of reading and watching I decided its time to give it a shot again.

I followed Arron Franklins videos since he seems to be a brisket master. So it got a salt and pepper rub and tossed on over hickory.

Here it is 4 hours into the cook.

Pulled off after 11 hours

These aren't the best pics since it was shot after we had dinner.
Point

Flat

Was very good, I pulled when it was probe tender which happened to be 201f. Could have used more smoke since the ring is rather weak on this one.

All in all I have renewed my confidence I'm cooking it. The next round will get injected and a bit more complex rub. Overall it was a successful cook! My wife loved it so its a win!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: My nemesis cook:brisket
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
Looks good! Of course the real proof is the approval of SWMBO.  ;D

I'll be tackling a brisket on my stick burner tomorrow. They've come out well when done on the WSM but I want to try something different and, honestly, I'm inspired by Franklin's video. I'm getting ready to watch it again just to see if I can glean some additional pointers.
kettles, smokers...

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
Looks good smoke! Nice and juicy. I've only done a few and my last one was best but still a bit dry. What temp did you cook it at?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My nemesis cook:brisket
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:59:28 PM »
I cooked it around 240 most of the way. It shot up too 260 but I eased it back down.  I was shooting for 250 but it settled in at 240 so I let it ride.

Hank, Franklin is an inspiration to me with the simplicity and focus on the fire. I love those videos of his. I would really like to see the results of your cook and thoughts on the offset cooker if you decide to post it.

I do think injecting is the way to go with these. This was pretty juicy but the flat got a bit dry.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

I've never once tasted the elusive smoke ring.........your cookup looks just grand !!!!!

Same thing happened to me................didn't get near the stuff for years, but when you pull off a good one, then it's Game On !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"