Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chinese wonton soup  (Read 1285 times)

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Chinese wonton soup
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »
I have been trying to emulate the roast pork wonton soup at the Chinatown cafe in Boston on Harrison Ave in Chinatown for awhile. I came real close today. This is the place where all of the Chinese tourist trap restaurant owners eat. Real deal Chinese food that closely represents the food I ate in China.

Korean BBQ marinated this pork, and then reduced the marinade down to a sauce, and cooked it on the SJS with RO lump, brushed with the sauce and rested the meat.

Homemade wantons stuffed with pork and shrimp. Curly egg noodles, and baby bok choy. Chicken stock with Chinese 5 spice,white pepper, ginger, green onion , chile's, white pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, shaoxing rice wine, and Chinese ground red pepper.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Chinese wonton soup
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
Um............................. where's mine?  ??? 

That looks amazing! I love me some wonton soup. So far I've only had it at a restaurant. I need to do this sometime..   ;)

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
If you buy frozen wantons from a Chinese market, and store bought stock and marinade, this is a super fast meal.

Marinade pork. Boil and chill noodles, and toss them with some sesame oil. Light coals. Grill pork. While pork is grilling, reduce the marinade on the stove and baste pork with sauce, Spice up the chicken stock, Steam dumplings for 5 minutes or per instructions.  Place noodles in a bowl, and put dumplings on top. Add sliced baby bok choy to stock, cook for 3 minutes. Ladle stock over noodles and wantons, add bok choy. Carve pork, serve on top.

I would recommend using country ribs for the pork, but all I had on hand was a tenderloin, and the texture wasn't right. I cooked it perfect 140 to keep it from drying out but in the soup it had a weird texture, not so bad most would notice but I did and I am a picky douche when I go all out on a meal like this, having made the wantons and marinade homemade.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:38:35 PM by edhead35 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
Very nice, Ed. I lived in Boston for a long time and there are some good spots for Chinese in the area. My wife is shanghainese and she approves ;)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791