Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hamburger Roll (experiment)  (Read 1123 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Hamburger Roll (experiment)
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
My wife can't have dairy as it taints the breast milk that goes to my son. It is a pain in the ass trying to find hamburger/hotdog buns that don't have dairy proteins in it so I wanted to try my own. I found a recipe and tested in the oven first. They turned out pretty good for someone that doesn't really bake (me). I thought I'd try it out on the Weber because that would obviously be more fun. :)

I got the grill up to 425 with a full chimney and put the first sheet on. I tested different sizes and shapes to see how they would rise. The first batch got burnt on the bottom. They tasted good otherwise. My second batch I decide to move the pan up. I put it on top of the charcoal baskets. I lost a bunch of heat too as I think it was only up to 350 at this point. The second batch turned out better. No burning and they also tasted good. I now just need to figure out sizing them as these were too small for burgers. It seems like I don't want to press them down at all as they didn't rise much at all.

Here are the pictures:

I realize I don't have any finished product pictures on the computer. I'll upload the burnt batch and post it.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Hamburger Roll (experiment)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Pix of finished biscuits or we're not buying it. ;D
kettles, smokers...

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
Lol. Here is the burnt bottom batch:

they taste great, just need some more practice.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
Elevating the pan on the baskets solved that problem then? I think many do pizza that way for the same reason.
kettles, smokers...

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:06:51 AM »
Elevating the pan on the baskets solved that problem then? I think many do pizza that way for the same reason.

Yes it did. Well, it was either that or from the loss off heat after I pulled the first batch...I got the idea from the folks here doing the pizza. Seemed to make sense in my head!

I plan on having some people over next weekend and will try again then.