Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking Direct  (Read 3857 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Cooking Direct
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:07:42 AM »
I have often wondered what George's idea about direct cooking was. Like in the Smokey Joe, you almost have to cook everything direct because of the size. Even with an indirect setup there really isn't that much room on a 22.5. Was his idea to not use a lot of charcoal and do everything direct? Or just add roast pans or tin foil to gaurd the meat from the direct flames? I might start practicing his method.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:13:16 AM by Duke »

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Cooking Direct
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
It would be cool to find pics of him grilling. Would love to have had an opportunity to pick his brain for a few.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
I cook direct almost exclusively. I leave the lid on with the vents wide open. If I flip something and get a flame it goes out within about 5 seconds of the lid being put back on. You just have to know how hot your grill is. If you have too much charcoal you may have to wait a little after you spread your coals so let them cool by getting more ash on them.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
I cook direct almost exclusively. I leave the lid on with the vents wide open. If I flip something and get a flame it goes out within about 5 seconds of the lid being put back on. You just have to know how hot your grill is. If you have too much charcoal you may have to wait a little after you spread your coals so let them cool by getting more ash on them.

Thanks FF, I am going to give it a try with a whole butterflied chicken soon. I also have a depiction of a very large steak possibly a london broil that looks good and I also plan t give that a try. It had mushrooms on top and looked like it was being cooked slowly direct. My plan is to just have a low bed of charcoal far from the main grate and do it slowly.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »
I have often wondered what George's idea about direct cooking was. Like in the Smokey Joe, you almost have to cook everything direct because of the size. Even with an indirect setup there really isn't that much room on a 22.5. Was his idea to not use a lot of charcoal and do everything direct? Or just add roast pans or tin foil to gaurd the meat from the direct flames? I might start practicing his method.

I'm going to admit my first thought was that you were referring to Go Anywhere-George... Then it hit me.   Lol

I'm going to admit at first I thought you were referring to go anywhere-George?...then it hit me lol
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »

I saw your videos with the 2 chickens.....and I was like, whoa he spread coals everywhere, there's no cool zone.  But they came out pretty good.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
Yeah, it was real interesting to see Fink's video for 'turds on a Smokie....

For me, it was a very short step to 14 hour pork shoulders & 18 hour clod roast, as I spent years & years using a smaller & smaller amount of coals, direct, to do stuff longer & longer time......

If you think about how many billions ( Trillions ?) of burgers & dawgs have been done on a kettle over 60+ years, direct makes sense....
It seems like from some of the old photos & ad's that people have put up here that they were testing out doing roasts & larger cuts to demonstrate to "families" that Dad could do whatever Mom could do in the house just fine outside.......
Didn't have to take out a second on the homestead to do a prime rib in those days either.....

I actually have a tough time with high heat direct, sort of.... :-[  but that's the ticket, right there ^^^^^^^
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"