Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A 'Members Only' section  (Read 5817 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: A 'Members Only' section
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:45 PM »
negatives:
- content invisible to non logged in users doesn't bring in search traffic
- content invisible to non logged in users doesn't show the value of the community and entice them to sign up, engage, and be a part of the community. It could be argued that if they KNOW there's more content available if they sign up and log in that they would do so - but it rarely works that way. Today's society is skeptical, a 'join to post' is standard practice - a 'join to get exclusive content' is difficult to pull off without sounding gimmicky.
- the line between what should be exclusive/hidden and what should be public is difficult to define. everyone will have a differing opinion, and human nature will likely err to the exclusive side more often than not. Now we've got average content in an exclusive, hidden forum. A moderator makes the call to make it public, the original poster loses self confidence and loses a portion of his or her motivation to engage.

I've been involved in social media and community development for a long time =D
In my experience, great content and amazing members who contribute it will always be the biggest and best asset that a community can have.

WKC isn't growing because I'm an SEO.
WKC isn't growing because we made some badass shirts and patches.
We're not growing because of the killer weber kettle age guide that I wrote.
We're not growing due to the other site treating us like shit.

We're growing because everyone here is amazing, and we all have the same passions and interest. I'm totally stoked and honored that so many great people are contributing. Everytime I log in I actually feel sad that I don't have much time to commit to talking with you guys and improving the site :(

I certainly agree that we've created a monster that has raised the prices of our hobby - and that sucks.
But realistically, trying to slow down that trend is hopeless and will only hurt the community. (in my opinion)

There may come a time where that changes. Who knows :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
We're not growing due to the other site treating us like shit.

;D!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »
Well said Troy.  I'm good with that.

Back to business as usual...  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:15 PM »
Bman are you talking about those jackets from the 80's? 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
point taken.
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
Bman are you talking about those jackets from the 80's?

Oh man my step dad and grand father had those for our family race team back in the late 80's me and my step bros wore them with pride at the track.. lol to funny!

We need some of these jackets with the wkc logo on the back and with our names on the front. They would be all shinny and everything. Imagine the look people would give you. I get enough weird looks when I load all the smokers and grills up in the back of the truck can you imagine hopping out with a jacket on!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.