Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A 'Members Only' section  (Read 5815 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
A 'Members Only' section
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:25 AM »
In many of the other forums I've been on, you need to be a registered user, or have XXX amounts of posts, or simply be granted access to 'special' parts of the forum.  In a way, it's kind of a good thing and has nice perks to it.

At any given time, there is roughly just as many guests here as registered users.  Is it fair the guests gain access to unique findings posted for other WKC members?  Specifically, I'm talking about the Trading Post.  How many non-members found out about the off set red Joe on ebay Harris won or other CL postings in their area.  The MN guys know this pain first hand.

If something unique pops up, having a place to post it for registered/authorized members would be handy to have. 
As an example --- a NIB kabob ring & skewers.  Should non-members be rewarded with this info?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Weber-Shish-Kabob-Skewers-Set-S-25-BBQ-Grill-Raised-Rack-Stand-Handles-/121147245979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c34f0459b

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A 'Members Only' section
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »

Betcha a nickel if we go back thru the old catalog postings, an "S-25" is an 18" kabob set......

only 4 skewers......

Could be an OK thing to have a "limited" section, maybe......I think a lot of the "Guests" are people like me who leave things running after the log-in times out @ 1 hr...............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:21 AM »
I see it's in Elgin.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:11:44 AM by Duke »

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »
Buckie - it is an 18" as the listing Q&A says so.  :D
<<<  it's 18.5" In diameter good luck a lot of watchers....  >>>

You time out after an hour?  I don't think I've logged in more than twice the entire time I've been on this forum. (per device)
Pretty sure you can set that setting to "never"
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:02:13 AM »
That would be an awesome fit for the my Easterner..... or maybe another member's Easterner or Mediterranean or Gardner or 49'er or Yachtsman, Brave...........  ;)  I hope someone here gets it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:07:49 AM by Craig »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:52:23 AM »
I saw it and hoped it was for a 22.  Looked it up and yup, confirmed its for an 18.  I have 22" skewers, but no ring. 
Rumor has it that Weber is going to sell the ss kabob ring here in the states...probably the same one available only in Europe now.  I'll be waiting to get that one if they offer it here.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
Sounds good to me. Then it is just fellow diehard weber nutters that we have to compete with. ;)
Restrict to over 251 posts I say.  8)

oh and yeah, so can set it to never log you out.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:12:49 PM by kendoll »
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
I like the idea of it but if people have the itis and like to get all there tips from here won't they just become a member?
I guess that's what Kendoll's saying with having a minimum amount of posts before access is granted
Lately when I've seen something cool I'll just PM people who might be interested or live close to the item rather than posting it. Lets face it if you see something you want on eBay your not going to post it in trading post
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:51:40 AM »
Anything I want I don't post it until the reveal thread.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »
Had I wanted the kabob ring set in the original post, it wouldn't have been a thread I started which contained such info.  That's not what this is about.  I've PM'd local guys about local CL finds.  Ebay is a different animal.  I'd love to see someone from here win it.  Anyone.  But we all know non-members will come here and check out the Trading Post as 'we' have already done the leg work and possibly post the into onto other sites.  That just drives up the price one of 'us' might have to pay.

Personally, there's a ton of other info on this site useful to guests and I think only (active) registered users should be able to see the Trading Post.  In the meantime, I'll just keep posting stuff I'm not going after.  :D

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:47:38 AM »
When this site began I suggested we make it like the Bretheren site where you have to join to look at it. It cuts down on the lurkers. I'm not sure how all of that works with the software though. Troy's the expert.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
This reminds me of my wife's comment last night after she saw my new (and awesome) WKC patch:

"Oh, so you are in the Weber Club. I see the patch.  Do you get extra bars (chevrons, etc) for every grill you restore?"

>:(

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »
I am an admin on a forum and the software that we use, lets you set up what users can see. You can set up a user group that is a "newbie" status until like 5 or 10 posts. Once they hit the lucky number it changes it to "member" or whatever you want to call it. It then can open the forums up more. Id imagine that this forums software can do the same thing.

I like the idea.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »
it's certainly possible with the software.

however i believe the negatives outweigh the positives, at least for most content.

i'm not 100% opposed to the idea, but I'd rather not go down that road until the community is a bit more developed. :)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
Troy - curious what negatives would outweigh the positives on this one. 
Would posting rare items for WKC eyes only really be a bad thing?  Like the kabob set above (which wasn't won by one of us) or the vintage blue 18 I just posted in the taking post.  I've even posted quite a few estate sale kettles from across the country.  Nothing rare like a yellow or blue 26'er ( :) ) but if it were, it's open to the vultures.